News   Apr 26, 2024
 151     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 359     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 528     0 

GO Transit Electrification | Metrolinx

Predictions for the GO RER fleet? The electrified fleet would be of course up to the team Metrolinx picks by early next year but I have a few ideas.

Stadler-Caltrain-KISS-EMU-testing.jpg

Of course the Stadler KISS seems to be the popular choice. I wasn't a fan of it originally but I have since warmed up to the fleet.

The interior of the Bombardier new Multilevel shown is quite nice and modern but IMO the exterior looks outdated.

As for electric locomotives as Metrolinx plans to use them on their longer distance electrified routes, (Full length Barrie line and Stouffville line) I think this would be a nice choice for GO Transit.

1600303934601.png

Finally if it's possible, single level EMUs can also be ordered with features more akin to a subway train.(Seats, Seating layout, Design) This could be used on the Kitchener line from Union to Bramalea and the Stouffville line between Union and Unionville. However the platforms would have to be raised. Or even the UP express if it's ever electrified. I don't have a preference but here are some examples.

1600304513604.png

1600304686528.png

Last edited:
California has a huge expansion underway. It already has over 40 public hydrogen filling stations and is on it's way to it's goal of 200 by 2025 and 1,000 by 2030.

Do you think this is substantial progress to overtake electric vehicles as the next viable technology? A quick Google search says in 2018 California already had 18,000 charging stations and over 10,000 gas stations. Those numbers make 1000 hydrogen stations by 2030 look far too low to be competitive.

We're way past the point of treating battery and hydrogen as competitors. Anything to build out either or both is to be supported in my view. Realistically, I don't see any serious decarbonization that doesn't involve both.

We're way past the point of treating battery and hydrogen as competitors. Anything to build out either or both is to be supported in my view. Realistically, I don't see any serious decarbonization that doesn't involve both.

On a theoretical level, 100% agree, under the assumption that Metrolinx and the Ontario Government both have unlimited infrastructure dollars to throw around e.x. Chinese State Ministry of Railways. Can and will a risk averse organization like Metrolinx put valuable government dollars on a technology that hasn't been mass deployed, and in turn risk experiencing the laundry list of technical defects that come with the implementation of every new tech? I very much doubt it. This is very much a political and business decision on the part of the decision makers at Metrolinx.

Last edited:
Can and will a risk averse organization like Metrolinx put valuable government dollars on a technology that hasn't been mass deployed, and in turn risk experiencing the laundry list of technical defects that come with the implementation of every new tech?

Absolutely. The magic of DBOFM agreements is the government doesn't make capital payments if actual operations fails to provide the contracted capacity. The question is, will a risk-averse corporation and those bankrolling them put forward a tender where they risk bankruptcy.

Metrolinx would giggle if they got $8B in trackwork for free because some company couldn't figure out the $6B hydrogen piece they committed to. GO Expansion, for Metrolinx, suddenly became a $6B electrification project. It's not actually that simple but the high-penalty nature of recent Metrolinx contracts would make it pretty close.

I think bi-levels would be a huge mistake.

They are certainly very useful in commuter type systems where you have masses travelling at just 2 times a day and nearly all the passengers are headed to just one or 2 terminal station like GO today. RER however should be single level trains because it will very much be metro-like service with far more people getting on and off the throughout the system. This is were bi-levels shortcomings become very clear.

Bi-levels have MUCH longer dwell times as they have fewer doors and there is always congestion at them from 2 levels of people trying to get to few door, negotiating bikes, strollers, wheelchairs, and the many who just linger at the doors as opposed to taking a seat. Paris RER uses bi-levels but that's because people are travelling far longer distances using it because the city already has a huge Metro system. Off course longer dwell times result in both slower and less frequent service capabilities.

They are certainly very useful in commuter type systems where you have masses travelling at just 2 times a day and nearly all the passengers are headed to just one or 2 terminal station like GO today. RER however should be single level trains because it will very much be metro-like service with far more people getting on and off the throughout the system. This is were bi-levels shortcomings become very clear.

Bi-levels have MUCH longer dwell times as they have fewer doors and there is always congestion at them from 2 levels of people trying to get to few door, negotiating bikes, strollers, wheelchairs, and the many who just linger at the doors as opposed to taking a seat. Paris RER uses bi-levels but that's because people are travelling far longer distances using it because the city already has a huge Metro system. Off course longer dwell times result in both slower and less frequent service capabilities.
I definitely agree. And under the right measures, (Fare Integration, subway-style frequency's, seating) it could give off a better impression of GO Transit literally becoming a Rapid Transit-like network.

Just to add to the above.................... One also has to remember that the people taking a commuter system and a RER system have very different demographics. Commuter rail is for exactly that, commuters. Able-bodied 25 to 55 year olds going to the office and back. RER will have the demographics of a subway system with more elderly, wheel bound people, parents with strollers doing their daily outings, and cyclists heading towards both recreation and their non-9 to 5 jobs. This means a LOT more people clogging the doorways in the only area of the train that is accessible to them.

Train riders of different demographics require different types of trains. RER demographics will be much more akin to standard subway riders than GO commuter ones. Imagine the mayhem if all of a sudden the Yonge & Bloor lines had bi-level trains.

Would be nice to have a digital display for the next station instead of just an audio announcement. The buses have them, why can't the trains?
Station signage can also be sparse at GO Stations. It's not like subway stations where you look out the window and it says "DUNDAS" on the wall. Another reason why the display screens may be nice.

I agree with this sentiment, at the same time though I feel like bi-levels are way to iconic to GO for them to go back to single levels. Not to mention, many routes such as the Barrie Line will still be operating long distance trains to destinations many people want to go.

I think GO will still use bilevels for long-distance routes. People aren't going to tolerate well standing all the way to Niagara Falls. But for the 15 min 2WAD service it is hard to argue for bilevels. Maybe a bit more seating than typical subway.

Back