News   Jul 19, 2019
 894     0 
News   Jul 19, 2019
 850     0 
News   Jul 19, 2019
 1.5K     1 

GO Transit Electrification (Metrolinx, Proposed)

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
^Verster was very clear today that the mode of propulsion, and the style/ choice of vehicle, was left to the bidder.
We all have our personal preferences, but Stadler is no more or less in the running than anything else. Until we have a bidder selected, all bets are just speculation.

- Paul

JSF-1

Member Bio
Reaction score
^Verster was very clear today that the mode of propulsion, and the style/ choice of vehicle, was left to the bidder.
We all have our personal preferences, but Stadler is no more or less in the running than anything else. Until we have a bidder selected, all bets are just speculation.

- Paul
That's true yes but I would assume Stadler has the advantage in that they already have an FRA approved KISS and I believe FLIRT model. Considering Canada likes to stick close to the FRA's regulations Stadler just seems like the easier option. I don't really see GO using a vehicle that isn't FRA approved, or Transport Canada approving one that the US already hasn't.

ssiguy2

Member Bio
Reaction score
Ottawa runs Alstom Coradia Lint trains on its Trilluim line so I think they could go with any standard EMU style.

JSF-1

Member Bio
Reaction score
They could, however if the bidder picks Stadler I think we know it will be the KISS; most likely the CalTrain version as well minus the high level doors. Regardless of who gets the bid and what they choose I do think picking up some DMU's for the Richmond Hill and Milton Lines would be a good idea.

Reecemartin

Member Bio
Reaction score
I think Bi-Levels would be better suited to the express service while single level trains run local, but it seems will be going pure Bi-Level. Assuming we go with the Stadler KISS for the electrified lines I wonder if there is an appetite for say the Stadler FLIRT for non-electrified lines like Richmond Hill. I personally don't see any problem running both EMU's and DMU's especially if they are both from the same company.
Indeed it's not foolish to assume the Kiss given they already have North American approval and a whole supply chain set up. Another promising newcomer is Bombardiers new EMUs for NJ Transit.

Having low and high level doors also seems reasonable in the case the consortium wants to convert the network station by station.

Mapleson

Member Bio
Reaction score
Ottawa runs Alstom Coradia Lint trains on its Trilluim line so I think they could go with any standard EMU style.
That is a LRV, so it’s not FRA-compliant for crashworthiness. A “bilevel solution” probably is talking to the fact that GO Transit has a sizeable fleet of existing rolling stock, which would be a waste just to divest for all bright, new, shiny toys. Expansion of the fleet should all be based on the new technologies (DMU/EMU/etc), but it would be very advantageous to make use of what exists until it hits at least the next major milestone in its rehab/maintenance cycle.

Beyond the tractive power, bilevels will always have an advantage of delivering more people to the spce-constrained Union Station. It’s the same constraint that drove us to them in the first place.

Reecemartin

Member Bio
Reaction score
That is a LRV, so it’s not FRA-compliant for crashworthiness. A “bilevel solution” probably is talking to the fact that GO Transit has a sizeable fleet of existing rolling stock, which would be a waste just to divest for all bright, new, shiny toys. Expansion of the fleet should all be based on the new technologies (DMU/EMU/etc), but it would be very advantageous to make use of what exists until it hits at least the next major milestone in its rehab/maintenance cycle.

Beyond the tractive power, bilevels will always have an advantage of delivering more people to the spce-constrained Union Station. It’s the same constraint that drove us to them in the first place.
The Lint is a regional train, not an LRV. Operating them requires an exemption from TC

smallspy

Member Bio
Reaction score
The Lint is a regional train, not an LRV. Operating them requires an exemption from TC
For the purposes of regulation, there is no such thing as a "regional train". It either qualifies to run on the tracks, or it doesn't - the Lints being used in Ottawa fall under the latter and so for regulatory purposes are akin to LRVs.

The fact that they've had to undergo a safety case to allow them to operate on that track - and no other, it should be added - doesn't change what they are.

Dan

steveintoronto

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
^ https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/consultation/consultation-city-ottawa-o-train-trillium-line-extension-project

Application for Approval to Construct a Railway Line Submitted to the Canadian Transportation Agency under Section 98 of the Canada Transportation Act Submitted by the City of Ottawa February 14, 2019
[...]
6.3 Trains The Trillium Line currently operates a fleet of six (6) Alstom LINT diesel multiple unit (DMU) vehicles, which are 40 metres long and can accommodate 240 customers. The Alstom vehicles were approved by Transport Canada in 2015.
[...]
https://documents.ottawa.ca/sites/default/files/City of Ottawa O-Train Trillium Line Section 98 Application to Construct_20190214.pdf

Last edited:

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The NDP cutting transit seems unthinkable.
So many things that have happened seem unthinkable - I didn't think I'd ever having to take far-right populists, nationalists and neo-nazis seriously in my lifetime - but here we are.

The NDP cuts to transit the last time they were elected caught me by surprise - it certainly wasn't what they campaigned on - and I voted for Peterson (though ironically I voted for Rae when Peterson won previously)!. In particular cancelling the plans for the Downtown Relief Line (because they didn't want more jobs downtown - Jack Layton was instrumental in cancelling that) and deferring the planned suburban rapid transit for about 4 years were particularly odious. If we go on track record, the PCs have been better in most transitions on continuing transit than the NDP!

The bottom line, is the NDP weren't very experienced ... they got in power in 1990, and didn't handle it well. Like a deer in headlights. I suppose now if they got into power again, they've at least got all the experienced MPPs that they had last time to provide behind-the-scenes advice. What are Bob Rae and Giorgio Mammoliti doing these days? :)

Nonetheless most of these points have been clarified if you dig into the announcements and technical documentation.
Have they? Versta seemed to be saying in the press conference that it wouldn't necessarily be electrified. Do we have a transcript? A lot of the technical documentation dates from the initial RFQ under the previous document. It will be interesting to see what's in the RFQ.

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Every time nfitz opens his mouth I face palm.
Are you saying that I'm wrong, and that the NDP didn't cut back GO service and delay TTC expansion the last time we elected them, setting back transit for years? (not as bad as the PCs did 5 years later though).

Neutrino

Member Bio
Reaction score
No, your ridiculous comment about neo nazis. I'm no fan of the NDP as you may have gathered.

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
No, your ridiculous comment about neo nazis.
Completely off-topic here ... but have you seen some of the extremists in Europe affiliated with parties like Golden Dawn and Magyar Gárda? Fortunately, such extremism doesn't seem to have caught on here much ... and even the New Constitution Party of Canada office on Main Street seems to have closed (ironically replaced by a flower store) but there's been the odd rally here too ... not to mention Proud Boys. I don't think they are getting much traction ... but it seemed unthinkable not many years ago - at least to me. Not sure why you think acknowledging that is ridiculous. And then there's Mongolia ... is the Guardian ridiculous - https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/aug/02/mongolia-far-right

Last edited: