Toronto GO Transit: Davenport Diamond Grade Separation | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Excuse the ignorance but the boxes seen in photo #2/3 from above. Are those planters to protect the trees on the other side of the fence or what is their purpose?

Excuse the ignorance but the boxes seen in photo #2/3 from above. Are those planters to protect the trees on the other side of the fence or what is their purpose?
And landscaping cloth. Garden boxes for the construction crews? It looks like they are built with non-PT lumber. Built to last (or perhaps not - maybe they're temporary).

And landscaping cloth. Garden boxes for the construction crews? It looks like they are built with non-PT lumber. Built to last (or perhaps not - maybe they're temporary).
They're for collecting the shavings from the tree trimming above. They did that work yesterday.

Won't be more than double. The whole point of this project is to raise the Barrie line above the CP Sub to the north. As the elevated section is only two tracks, tripling won't be happening.

Won't be more than double. The whole point of this project is to raise the Barrie line above the CP Sub to the north. As the elevated section is only two tracks, tripling won't be happening.

They could leave a siding that are not elevated to serve industry along the main tracks.

My understanding is that Metrolinx plans to build triple tracks eventually, but is only building 2 bridges for now here at least. I believe there will be triple track sections on different parts of the rail corridor to allow for express trains. Downsview Park Station was built to allow this, for example.

My understanding is that Metrolinx plans to build triple tracks eventually, but is only building 2 bridges for now here at least. I believe there will be triple track sections on different parts of the rail corridor to allow for express trains.

That's my recollection from the public meetings, the layout provides for a third track if desired at some later date, but no plans to build it as yet.

- Paul

That's my recollection from the public meetings, the layout provides for a third track if desired at some later date, but no plans to build it as yet.

- Paul
You are correct. Until there is a need for a 3rd track, it will remain as 2 tracks. Given where we are on RER today, 2040 or about is when you will see the 3rd track.

Final bits:
96399473-221D-4C22-AC1A-B900BF7C3A89.jpeg
981ED7F0-6330-4581-B2E2-0C46E04F2417.jpeg

I doubt you are going to need to add a triple track this far into the city

The triple track was premised on eventually having a peak express service to Aurora(ish), possibly only electrified that far, with diesel beyond. There have been so many iterations of RER since, and that thought may have already died its silent death, but it was a serious thought at one point.

- Paul

On the subject of triple-tracking, I thought this photo might be of interest. From the TPL archives, it shows the view from 1980 looking north from Dundas along what is now the Barrie Line, showing three tracks up to Bloor (plus a spur in the foreground on the west side):
lochist-bl-035.jpg

Back