Toronto GO Transit: Davenport Diamond Grade Separation | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 10.06.34 AM.png

Can’t do it while trains are using the line.

- Paul

Good video of that here. Shows a better perspective of the video I posted above from someone.

^The stated reason for the night work (which I can accept) is tree removal. The trees affected are not small and any amount of work equipment might have to be positioned near or on the tracks. Moving this equipment every half hour to let a train go by might be hugely inefficient. And, there is always the risk that some unforeseen would happen that couldn't be cleared without delaying the next train. So a dedicated block of time is the right way to accomplish the work.

In the course of the work, there will be all sorts of supporting tasks required that don't look "essential" or that give rise to "don't need to do that at night". These videos have to be viewed in the context of, maybe that's true, but the activity filmed may not be the task that is triggering the night work at all.

It's also good project management to ask, so long as we are there, what other work can we add so that the overall project is expedited? So things other than tree removal may be going on as well, and I have no complaint about that.

I wouldn't expect a bleary sleepless resident to have sympathy for any of this, but I'm sure the contractor would not be paying night time rates if they could do otherwise. And, as Eglinton demonstrates, more disruption to finish faster may be in the residents' overall interests. Again, I don't expect sleepless residents to be very objective about that.

One might ask why a daytime work block wasn't chosen, especially right now when ridership must be close to zero and bustitution is feasible. Day work is definitely cheaper than night work. That's likely a ML call, and it's a fair question.

- Paul

Last edited:
From the local Councillor:

Important update regarding the Davenport Diamond:

After working with the community to raise concerns to Metrolinx about construction noise and lighting, especially at night, they have begun the process to implement some important changes:

1. Review storing construction equipment away from the condos to minimize noise

2. Face lighting away from residences

3. Review shifting specific noisy construction to daytime work and investigating a shoring wall

4. Continue real-time decibel monitoring

While I understand that some noisy work will be required to happen at night, I am glad that we could create some relief for those affected. Thank you to all the residents who joined me in this advocacy.

Construction response by Metrolinx posted by a resident:

Thank you for sharing your concerns and giving me the opportunity to respond. I appreciate this work may cause an inconvenience and I want assure you that we are doing our best to limit the noise and get the necessary work done as quickly as possible.

The work shown in the video you shared was moving a light plant either into or out of the corridor. The light plant cannot be kept in the corridor so it is moved to the adjacent property nightly.

Other activities that occur within the development nightly are site trucks accessing the corridor to check on crews, a tandem dump truck removing material from the corridor (2-3/loads per night) and equipment moving into and out of the corridor at the start and end of each shift and as necessary for staging. We have checked the noise and vibration readings from this evening and can confirm they were within the allowable dBA limit.

Also, just to provide you with some additional information about the clearing and grubbing – I had previously provided April 19th as the date for completion north of CP and wanted to update you on why that has changed. A couple things have extended the timeline for this work:
• The weekend work was less productive than anticipated with the removal of the major closure (for track upgrades), so less area was accomplished than expected
•The depth of topsoil in the corridor is greater than expected and has required some detailed excavation adjacent to the existing rail structure

We are expecting to be done the clearing/grubbing by the end of the week (by Monday night the latest), however, the night work will continue north of the Diamond. Our constructor, Graham is building a diversion track along the east side of the corridor and plan to open it by Labour Day. We are in the process of providing an updated construction notice that we will share with the community shortly.
Should you have any other questions, concerns or feedback, please do not hesitate to reach out to me.

That was a switching lead that used to branch off to the old American Standard building's numerous sidings, as well as to a CN-CP connecting track at the SE corner of Davenport diamond by the old Canadian General Electric Royce Works building.

^ Looks like there was a siding there at some point? @smallspy @crs1026

View attachment 242564

Back