Toronto GO Transit: Davenport Diamond Grade Separation | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Answers are finally up at Engage.

I fail to be impressed, let alone convinced:
Financial close on the Guideway is expected for approximately Summer 2019, with construction to start in approximately Fall 2019 and be completed in approximately mid-2023. Construction on the public realm elements will start in approximately 2023 and last until approximately Fall 2024.
https://www.metrolinxengage.com/en/content/ask-metrolinx-may-2-2019

Approximately, expected, not yet, soon, maybe.

In other words, they don't know, or do, and won't divulge it.

“Financial close on the Guideway is expected for approximately Summer 2019, with construction to start in approximately Fall 2019 and be completed in approximately mid-2023. Construction on the public realm elements will start in approximately 2023 and last until approximately Fall 2024.”

Four years to build a bridge???

“Financial close on the Guideway is expected for approximately Summer 2019, with construction to start in approximately Fall 2019 and be completed in approximately mid-2023. Construction on the public realm elements will start in approximately 2023 and last until approximately Fall 2024.”

Thats typical north american govt infrastructure for you....Europe would be done in 1/2 the time and asia 1/4 the time...?

That's just about the time it takes for the can kicked down the road to stop for the next election.

It's absurd, isn't it?

Last edited:
Thats typical north american govt infrastructure for you....Europe would be done in 1/2 the time and asia 1/4 the time...?
I was just about to post same, and stopped myself. Sydney has built the first leg of a Metro in that time (albeit half was already extant, but still had to be modified, the other half is brand new, and tunnelled most of the distance).

Typical North American infrastructure:

wont deny that but thats an entire airport and this is just a viaduct that is exponentially less tedious to complete. Besides, the airport was originally supposed to take 5years and was beset with delays. Who knows if 4 years will be the actual time for this project.

wont deny that but thats an entire airport and this is just a viaduct that is exponentially less tedious to complete. Besides, the airport was originally supposed to take 5years and was beset with delays. Who knows if 4 years will be the actual time for this project.

I'd expect the airport to be an easier job. The airport has very few constraints on when they can build or when they can move equipment/materials. They can also do several pieces simultaneously as the runway/taxiway are adjacent to the terminal which are adjacent to the fuel storage, fire station, etc.

Conversely, the viaduct has several steps which must be done in order and have timing constrained by two 3rd party entities (Metrolinx and CP) who enter/leave the space in a non-worker friendly manner dozens of times per day.

Stretching out timelines is rarely done by the vendor willingly as they don't get paid until completion of phases.

If you let them shutdown the Barrie Line and CP operations for 3 months, I bet it could be completed in that time period.

Last edited:
If you let them shutdown the Barrie Line and CP operations for 3 months, I bet it could be completed in that time period.
And we have the winner.

How long did the modifications for Thameslink south of London Bridge take ... it was years?

Can you explain your reasoning here? Genuinely curious haha

Simple. The opening of the structure is not the last component in the contract. There is all sorts of tidying-up that will need to be done - track and signal removal, cleanup and restoration of the land, rebuilding the short section of Wallace under the overpass, demobilization of equipment - before the contract will be deemed complete.

As an example, trains were using the bridge at Snider (where the Barrie Line crosses the CN York Sub) a year before the project was announced as being completed. And the timescale was similar for the grade separation at Hagerman in Markham.

Dan

Huge sigh of relief from everyone in the neighbourhood who's been anticipating the neighbourhood connectivity + public realm improvements that come with this project! Great news.

Back