Toronto GO Transit: Davenport Diamond Grade Separation | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

time mark?
After watching the one linked, and being left hanging for an answer at the end, I see from the Youtube menu that there are five parts. What I watched was excellent...far more informative and *adult* than the Leader Barfathons, but I need to see all five to form a full opinion.

My most pronounced impression so far, transit details besides? (and none of the three major parties can point to actual reports, dates, and a record of accomplishment, let alone informed projection) The Green candidate.

Since it's looking like a vote for any of the Big Three is a form of masochism, and the candidates all wear plastic suits that wipe clean with a damp cloth, I'm hearing and seeing *fresh* and *honest thinking* from the Greens.

Dammit, rather than waste your vote, vote Green. Of course they won't win, but with a coalition looking all the more likely (just not being talked about) voting Green in this election is a vote invested. Kirsten impressed me. She talks my language, and she has no baggage, or peccadilloes to atone for.

I will be watching all the vids of that event later. I recommend others do same.

Addendum: Trying to make chronological sense of the five vids, will post missing links later if found, but here's the continuation of the "tunnel" point, with the PC about to displain (sic) :

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-10_16-20-20.png
    upload_2018-5-10_16-20-20.png
    103.2 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:
^ Haven't had a chance to watch it myself. I would assume you could scroll ahead to the questions from the audience. Apparently the PC candidate was supportive of building a tunnel instead of a bridge.

Where are they going to find the money for this? even if they cannibalise a project it still wont be enough....

You know you are in Davenport when the Conservative candidate announces proudly that he just bought an electric car.

Like, that’s gonna carry any weight in a Ford Cabinet. Just like the current incumbent found traction with Wynne when she declared her opposition to the Davenport overpass.

I was however impressed with the unanimous support for electrification and the rebuke of hydrogen as a Wynne ‘Hail Mary’. Candidates were actually fairly well briefed.

- Paul

Noticed some vegetation and trees were cleared and core sampling machine doing its thing south of the diamond along the ROW

Noticed some vegetation and trees were cleared and core sampling machine doing its thing south of the diamond along the ROW
The bridge over Bloor also being examined closely. Might be some concerns with the abutments. Crews been on the stretch between Bloor and Davenport for couple of months surveying, and perhaps vacillating on what must be done. The sooner the better, as Bloor under that bridge and the Georgetown one is in really rough shape. City Roads keeps patching around the sewer grates, but they're still hazards for cyclists. The abutments on both bridges are crumbling in places.

RFP Close in Fall right?

That's what I recall, and I also wonder if anyone can remember the details of when funds become locked in. I say that because this is high on the list of city-building projects that I worry DoFo and his henchpeople might have on the chopping block.

^ I sense the bridge itself is safe because of the number of PC ridings the Barrie Line goes through. I think the bigger worry, especially for residents who live near the bridge, is that Metrolinx will be ordered to do the EA bare minimum and the $70 million or so in public realm improvements/art etc won't be funded.

^ I sense the bridge itself is safe because of the number of PC ridings the Barrie Line goes through. I think the bigger worry, especially for residents who live near the bridge, is that Metrolinx will be ordered to do the EA bare minimum and the $70 million or so in public realm improvements/art etc won't be funded.

Yep, that's exactly my fear. They'll see the city-building elements that were key to soliciting public/neighbour buy-in as needless frivolities.

Has anyone heard anything from the Gov regarding this?

Nonetheless, once this grade separation is built Barrie Line should be able to be converted to RER pretty easily.

No, and the first question about transit only came today. Missed the actual question. The Minister provided a general (and some would say over the top) response saying Ford supports transit. I'll post the transcript from Hansard in the
2018 Provincial Election Transit Promises thread.

That's what I recall, and I also wonder if anyone can remember the details of when funds become locked in. I say that because this is high on the list of city-building projects that I worry DoFo and his henchpeople might have on the chopping block.
Your feelings are shared by a number of Metrolinx supervisory persons I've spoken to on another issue. (A clause in the Metrolinx Bylaw Tariff section)

This was posted in the Facebook group Junction Triangle Rail Committee:
Kevin Putnam: What's happening with the Davenport Diamond bridge project? Metrolinx has gone very quiet so we are grateful to MP Julie Dzerowicz for her time today and the promise to help get a definitive update on a really bad plan that guarantees nothing except a life-sucking, concrete train bridge in the middle of the Junction Triangle.

Q: Any updates ?

Kevin: Hope to hear something back next week.

^There was a core sample crew drilling on Bloor next to the center supports of the existing bridge two weeks back, but I suspect that was already contracted. Other than that, I've noticed nothing. (There may be activity I haven't noticed, but prior to this, it was very busy with contractors surveying and assaying). I live right in the area.

My personal feeling isn't against the flyover if that's a necessary cost and functionally needed, but the cost could be more effectively spent, along with other projects, to address the root cause of it all: The need for the freight bypass, Missing Link in this case, as it would render the Mid-Town route and dispatching from ML that would co-ordinate a level crossing such that a flyover would be superfluous to real need.

The only thing I think might stop DoFo messing with this (apart from agitation by 905/705 MPPs) is the interest CPR will have in removing GO from their territory.

Back