197     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 367     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 419     0 

GO Transit BRT/Rail expansion map

O

officedweller

This GO rail and bus map was posted by doady over at SSC - sourced from the City of Mississauga website. Don't think I've seen it here.

skyscrapercity.com/showth...p?t=334491

GOBRT.gif

So sad when you think about it, that is if the gov did not cheap out in the late 80's that BRT would have been a rapid transit train line along the 401, as that was the plan before.

Now we are getting buses instead, and the line is even further out of the city.

Although the good thing is the 407 route is popular. Atleast people use it.

Very sad - and stupid. One year's cheap-out echoes on for decades.

A busway tunnel under Eglinton - what a dumb idea. But does it mean that GO/MT and TTC will have to buy dual-mode buses (diesel and overhead electric) to run in a bus tunnel? All major bus tunnels I know of - Boston Silver Line and Seattle - require these dual-mode buses. Maybe the TTC will look at electric trolley buses again as a practical mode.

The GO/Mississauga Transitway continues to be a stupid idea. I never thought I'd say this, but York Region is doing it right. And Brampton is going that route, while the transitway remains Mississauga's (and certain people at GO's) dream.

Network 2011 recommended a bus tunnel under Eglinton.

When I was in grade 8, I sent a request to the TTC for information, as it was something I wanted to write a grade 8 paper on. The TTC sent me a whole load of materials, including an annual report, the "Let's Move" report, a PR glossy package and Network 2011. "Let's Move" included the subway to York Centre (Keele) and a bus ROW through the Richview Expressway lands/

So GO is using a 15-year old document of very "of the time" ideas to plan today's transit? I think a bus tunnel under Eglinton is stupid. I'd rather go with my idea until a subway is fesable - the Brussels model:

eglinton.jpg

Unless the TTC has immediate plans to build a subway under Eglinton, there is nothing wrong with GO's plan.

The Eglinton/Mississauga busways might be stupid, but running a busway up Markham Road is even stupider.

I notice that the GO midtown line is still on that map as a future rail expansion...though one wonders where it would stop at Yonge, with the former station now given over to booze (and, apparently, Susur).

Wait...I heard something about this before. Is Susur Lee actually opening up in the station? Where in the building?

unimaginative:

The clock tower, plus part of the bridge.

AoD

I have a feeling that the vibration of passing trains might not be so helpful to the chefs as they try to put together those oh-so-delicate arrangements.

^ Yet it's OK to have the city's largest LCBO there, stocking millions of dollars worth of liquor? Maybe Susur Lee will open some sort of Jell-O/Asian fusion dessert bar. Imagine how lively the chef's creations will be when a train passes :)

I think a bus tunnel under Eglinton is stupid. I'd rather go with my idea until a subway is fesable - the Brussels model.

Yes... someone else who likes the Brussels model and is talking about it. Any tunnel built for BRT or streetcars under Eglinton and/or Queen should be build subway compatible for the day in the future when the tunnel is long enough and the ridership is high enough to make a subway feasible. Brussels strategy of slowly burying streetcar/tram lines piece by piece as required and building the tunnel with an eye to the future is such a great strategy. I wish the TTC commissioners would spend more time in Brussels and less time in the USA.

Yes... someone else who likes the Brussels model and is talking about it. Any tunnel built for BRT or streetcars under Eglinton and/or Queen should be build subway compatible for the day in the future when the tunnel is long enough and the ridership is high enough to make a subway feasible. Brussels strategy of slowly burying streetcar/tram lines piece by piece as required and building the tunnel with an eye to the future is such a great strategy. I wish the TTC commissioners would spend more time in Brussels and less time in the USA.

Env:

Please explain this system in more detail for those of us who chose bong hits over lectures in University. It is confusing to me because I can't understand how you "bury" a streetcar line. My simple mind sees that as more of a "mound building" exercise (two words: BMX park). Also, isn't the tunnel the primary expense in subway building? How would an underground busway be feasible?

What was I talking about again? And does anyone have any more Triscuits?

Back