News   Apr 19, 2024
 394     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 719     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 747     1 

GO studies Bolton rail service

How about starting with All-day bus service before we talk about trains?
The Toronto Suburban Railway did run a radial streetcar from Weston & Keele through Woodbridge until 1926. That's the dotted line in the map below.
map_woodbridge.jpg

From link.

Off topic but since you mentioned that plan if any highway would be extended to Hwy 9 it'll probably be 410, I can't see the 427 ever making it past the 413.
I don't know about the 427, but I don't see a way the 410 gets extended for the foreseeable future. Hwy 10 serves as the highway extension, and many regularly drive 100+ km/h the entire way. Support for the extension would be even less than the 413, which is already unpopular in the local area.

Seeing as they were able to basically introduce London GO overnight, I imagine they could do a similar bare-bones service now to Bolton. I agree more projects like a completed Bolton line is a tall order, but it might be pretty easy to defer the actual capital costs until there’s time and money to do so.
You are proceeding from a false assumption.................that the London GO is a "service". Currently the GO "service" to London is serving 0.0005% of the population. They would be far better off cancelling the London line and putting the money into Bolton. God knows it would be a far better return on the money.

You are proceeding from a false assumption.................that the London GO is a "service". Currently the GO "service" to London is serving 0.0005% of the population. They would be far better off cancelling the London line and putting the money into Bolton. God knows it would be a far better return on the money.
GO probably serves less than 1% of Toronto as well. What's your point?

You should be asking what is the modal share of GO in sectors like London-Kitchener, London-Toronto, etc.

Off topic but since you mentioned that plan if any highway would be extended to Hwy 9 it'll probably be 410, I can't see the 427 ever making it past the 413.
I don't see the 410 ever making past the 413... Why do you think the 410's a better option?

Hwy 10 is already multi-lane heading north, with only a handful of traffic lights. The only slowdown up to hwy 9 is really Caledon village with its one traffic light.

Hwy 427 on the other hand... it would be great to be able to bypass Bolton and its suburban sprawl. Hwy 50 and Hwy 27 both become single lane each direction and can be a crawl at times. They also pass through a couple of tiny towns on the way to hwy 9.

Attachment 1 - Proposed Interim Control By-Law.jpg

Report Highlights
  • The City of Vaughan, alongside its counterparts in the Town of Caledon, have been actively pursuing a vital regional link in response to significant and expected growth over the next three decades in the broader areas adjacent to the proposed GO rail line.
  • Potential locations for a station in the Woodbridge area may become permanently lost if this area is not studied to evaluate the opportunities to protect for a potential GO rail station.
  • Staff are of the opinion that a study is needed to identify a desired location for the GO station, and if such a location exists, the existing land use designations may need to be rationalized and optimized to facilitate transit supportive development in the area.
  • Section 38(1) of the Planning Act permits a municipality to pass an interim control by-law (ICBL) that prohibits the use of land, buildings or structures for such purposes as set out in the by-law.
Recommendations
1. THAT Council pass an Interim Control Bylaw for the area located in the Kipling Avenue Corridor Secondary Plan as identified in Attachment 1 to be in effect for a period of one year; and
2. THAT Council direct staff to undertake a study in consultation with Metrolinx to identify a desired location of a future GO station area, and if required, prepare an Official Plan Amendment to the Kipling Avenue Corridor Secondary Plan to protect the future GO station site and rationalize and optimize the land uses in the area.

Of course, in typical GO fashion it's located away from all the density.
Show us a better location other than build a new rail line that will service the existing density. The line existed long before development took place, let along any of us were born.

Any alternative location will be a difficult build.

- a station on hwy 7 would connect with viva orange but would be on a bridge 20+ feet above the roadway.

- a station in dt Woodbridge would be more centrally located wrt to density. But again you'd be putting the station on a bridge with not much space for access

- langstaff has more land for parking etc but is further away than Kipling

This is the struggle with a station in/around Woodbridge. It would be great to have a centrally located station in the historical core where tod can spur further revival of dt Woodbridge. Putting a station on the periphery will only increase the pressure to build the station as a peak commuter station with significant amounts of parking. And if we do that we may as well build out on Islington or hwy 27 which are major travel corridors

The Kipling location could still work with transit connections. YRT rte 10 (currently suspended) passes through the area and rte 7 could be rerouted to pass the station. Similarly viva orange could detour via Kipling/langstaff/hwy 27

Last edited:
Back in 2014, Vaughan received a development application (DA.14.072) for the triangular parcel between the CPR line, Kipling Ave. & City Park Circle for a 98-unit development with a mid-rise building & town homes. I wonder whether this will acquire density now it's included in the interim by-law area?
1684183938393.png

How about 0m from downtown Woodbridge, since the tracks go there too.
I agree that would be preferable, and likely the case had the historic station footprint been preserved, however the land surrounding the intersection of rail line and woodbrige avenue is essentially all single family homes. The ability to construct a station, nevermind a decent level of TOD would be very limited here

1691705617289.png

Back