News   Jul 30, 2024
 694     0 

Globe: Toronto's history stashed in a closet

wyliepoon

Member Bio
Reaction score
Link to article

Toronto's history, stashed in the closet
The city may lack a museum, but a secret warehouse holds proof that the story didn't begin or end with John Graves Simcoe

VAL ROSS

August 4, 2007

Mea culpa. Two decades ago, when I wrote a Fodor's travel guide to Toronto, I tried to pump up the prose by telling the story of the first white man in the area. Coureur de bois Étienne Brûlé, scout for Samuel de Champlain, lived among the Huron (so my text assured readers) until, in 1633, his drinking and womanizing so offended them that they killed and ate him. Sex, death and cannibalism - I hoped all this would lure people into reading about Toronto.

This is why we need a Toronto museum. Historians now say the Brûlé story is wrong, wrong, wrong. The Frenchman was tortured to death by his allies for suspected treachery, not ribaldry, and he was probably killed near Lake Erie, not the mouth of the Humber River. The west-end Toronto streets and schools named after him should find a new myth.

"People want to know who the first white guy in the area was, but that's not a big hairy deal," says Carl Benn, the city's chief curator of museums and heritage services. "Besides, it privileges white guys in a historical context where virtually the entire population was aboriginal."

The province's civic holiday also privileges a white guy - Simcoe Day, on Monday, named after John Graves Simcoe, who sired urban Toronto when he presided over York officially becoming the capital of Upper Canada in 1796. But Toronto isn't a white city. And while it has been becoming less white, its historians have been replacing many of the city's founding legends with new histories of which most of us are unaware.

There is a warehouse in the city's west end, and what's inside is the closest thing this town has to a map of its own DNA. It contains an estimated 100,000 artifacts and about one million archeological specimens that form the nucleus of a Toronto museum. You can see this stuff only by trekking to an industrial street, knocking on an unmarked door at an appointed time and then taking a manually operated freight elevator, which creaks and whirrs like a vast old clock. "I love the sound of 1922," Mr. Benn says as he stands by the lift's controls.

Alighting, we enter a warren of shelves, boxes, drawers and clothes racks. Here are Blue Jays bumper stickers from our 1992 World Series win; a drum from the War of 1812; Communist Young Pioneer caps from the 1934 May Day parade; Seneca and Algonkian (or Algonquin) arrowheads. Century-old posters of the Canadian National Exhibition.

Mr. Benn pulls out a green coat with silver buttons that belonged to Colonel William Jarvis of the Queen's Rangers. He shows the garment's lining. "Look! These are great port-soaked sweat stains of the 18th century, not like the prissy patches we have now."

Must we make sense of all this? Does it matter that few of us have heard of the greatest human tragedy in this region, when from 1634 to 1640, half of the aboriginal population of Southern Ontario perished from European-borne disease? That few know that in the 1770s, John Graves Simcoe, an abolitionist, tried to form a regiment of free black loyalists, and that the Queen's Rangers was his second choice? That of the 600 redcoats stationed at Fort York to defend this city in 1814-15, 400 were francophones from a Quebec regiment?

Toronto is too complex to let our 11,000 years of human habitation be reduced to fairy tales in guidebooks. "Cities are organic," former mayor David Crombie says. "Places like Glasgow and Manchester that turn themselves around first have to look into their own soul. We'll learn a helluva lot more by looking at our own than with ideas dumped from elsewhere." Rita Davies, executive director of the city's culture branch, says: "We need to understand the past in terms of how it informs our present and points to the future."

An example: Mr. Benn talks about how after Brûlé's day, a Seneca community flourished by the Humber River. After they decamped for upstate New York in 1687, Algonkian peoples took over control of this territory. Known as the Mississauga, they're the people to whom the British paid £1,700 in 1787 in what's known as the Toronto Purchase. That sale is still contested 220 years later, and likely applies to the land under your feet as you read this.

Eclectic as the warehouse collection is, it tells only a small fraction of such Toronto stories. It's overwhelmingly 18th to 20th century, and is heavy on the plates, shoes and clothes from the old Eaton's department store.

To round it out, Mr. Benn would love to have access to material that would fill in the gaps back to 9000 BC. And he'd like items that would allow the museum to tell other kinds of stories too: "Think of the El Mocambo palm tree sign," he says. "It could serve as a jumping-off point to let us explore the impact of the club scene in the 1960s and 1970s." And more ways of telling about Toronto's waves of immigrants, Ms. Davies adds. "We have 150 different communities here. We're evolving second by second, never mind year by year."

The elusive museum

Toronto is getting closer to having its own museum. Early next year, City Council will be asked to approve a proposed site, 1.5 hectares of city-owned land next to the old Canada Malting silo on the waterfront. Then comes the job of raising about $80-million from various sources, mostly private, which is likely to push the project a few years into the future.

But David Crombie, the project's honorary chair, has something more immediate in mind for the 175th anniversary of the incorporation of the City of Toronto: an ambitious exhibition at the Royal Ontario Museum in the summer of 2009 that is expected to move on to St. Lawrence Hall - and will, it is hoped, act as a preview for the permanent Museum of the History of Toronto.

That nice little exhibition of the history of carpets in Toronto, now showing at the Market Gallery, is drawn from the collection.

There's a private archaeological/conservation company, Archaeological Services Inc., whch is reputed to have in it's basement bankers boxes from floor to ceiling 2 rowns thick full of artefacts spanning the entire occupied history of Toronto and the surrounding region. These artefacts, I am told, were offered to the city but rejected due to a lack of storage space. They are apparently being held by the company until this museum gets itself off the ground.

Nothing like re-awakening an old thread!

The City seems to be (slowly) moving ahead on the proposed City of Toronto Museum. See: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2011/gm/bgrd/backgroundfile-37542.pdf

Toronto Museum Project
The TMP is intended to address gaps in the cultural heritage infrastructure of Toronto. The vision requires it to be accommodated in a building capable of providing museum-quality gallery and exhibition spaces. The facility would be a year-round facility targeted at both local residents and tourists. It is envisioned to be a major cultural attraction in the City while also complementing other public amenities and services which could be located within the building.
The TMP was originally envisioned on the waterfront at the Canada Malting site. The program was developed based on the assumption that a new building would be built. As part of the study the design was transported into the foot print and available space at OCH. The design concept required approximately 166,000 ft². The comprehensive analysis of the building’s current use and condition concluded that the TMP can be accommodated within the existing building if extensive renovations are undertaken. This option would seriously impact the viability of the museum’s currently planned program and would have a negative impact on the buildings heritage features. Some additional uses could be accommodated to augment the museum function as well as generate additional revenue. In this option the TMP would occupy all the space which is currently leased resulting in a loss of future revenue to the City. The study concluded that the cost to renovate the existing building to house the TMP would be prohibitive. The existing building does not meet the loading requirements for a museum use and would require structural enhancements. An entirely new humidity controlled system would need to be inserted within the building, a new freight elevator would be required to allow for the movement of artifacts and exhibition items. The study recommended that the most cost effective location for the museum would be in the courtyard to allow for a new purpose built building to house the TMP.
TMP Courtyard Location The study advocated that the courtyard be reserved for the future use of TMP which would be accommodated in a new purpose-built building. The study concluded that a standalone building could be constructed in the courtyard space above a shared service level at grade. The new building would not be visible from the street at any location and from above would appear as a glass atrium roof below the existing roof height. The main entrance to the museum would be from Queen Street through the first floor lobby shared with the new commercial/institutional users.
Due to the nature of space required for the TMP floor to ceiling heights could vary in a new building and not be restricted by the existing building floor to ceiling heights. With the use of the courtyard there is no need to tie into the existing building above the service area allowing for a variety of ceiling heights from office to exhibition requirements. No major modifications to the existing building would be required with the exception of a revised circulation pattern to better accommodate the Provincial Courts and provide separation between the two functions.

Not really loving the OCH idea. Wouldn't the First Parliament site make more sense? I know this would be just another nod to old white men but in terms of our recorded history this site is pretty significant.

I'm not a fan of the OCH idea either........

I have my own thoughts on that space............

I want it to become downtown's main public library!

City Hall branch would obviously relocated; but be enlarged by an order of magnitude.

Toronto does not have a proper, major, CIRCULATING branch library in downtown, the only is North York Central.

This would be an awesome space for that. Just my 2 cents!

The First Parliament site isn't realistic because there's no building there and such a project needs a building already in place to limit the cost. Realistically, Old City Hall is about as good a site as you can get for such a project: historically significant, centrally located, the view up Bay St, tourist area, easily accessible by transit, right beside a massive public square. It's a recipe for success that you can't really find elsewhere in the city. The only other site which would be awesome for a City Museum is Osgoode Hall, which is equally as grand and worthy of being on display for visitors and locals alike.

Also, I disagree that this museum would be a monument to old white men. We're talking about a history that goes beyond just 1793 and also a history that includes people from all sorts of backgrounds coming to this city. Toronto has a story to tell and it's about time we tell it.

There has been talk lately of some sort of plan for First Parliament so I don't think it's completely off the wall... the OCH proposal wouldn't be for several years yet either, anyway.

OCH is a heritage building but the report already states that the museum wouldn't be part of this, that it would be a new structure stuffed into an old one. Just not sure this is the best use of OCH... and this part of town doesn't feel particularly 'touristy' to me. Looking down the road a ways I could see an expanded St. Lawrence Market, along with the Distillery District/First Parliament site, book-ending a very vibrant and touristy Olde Town where it may make perfect sense to have a museum.

I agree that the First Parliament site is certainly a POSSIBLE contender but I actually see no problem with OCH either. I have never seen the courtyard at OCH so cannot quite visualise how a museum there might work but the courtyard at the British Museum is MAGNIFICENT.

I certainly am pleased that there is still official talk of a City Museum and would personally settle for either site, both of which have things in favour of them.

Just jumping back to the original article (which predates my joining UT), I've been into the aforementioned warehouse. It's quite an amazing place--and sad that all that cool stuff is just stashed in a warehouse.

I still love the idea floated on another thread (although it'd probably never work) to acquire the two old bank buildings on Yonge and the empty space between them and to put a city museum there.

I'm divided between whether it's better to put the museum on OCH or a new building. The merit of OCH is that it is historically significant, is centrally located, and is built for public use. The downside is that heritage preservationists would be up in arms about any changes to the building, whether it's renovating the interior spaces into exhibit space or putting up something in the courtyard.

The perspective Torontonians have on museums has changed ever since the completion of the ROM Renaissance project (and also Transformation AGO, as well as the Gardiner Museum renovation). After the completion of these projects, I don't know if Torontonians are still satisfied with the 'classical' museum experience where you just move from one room filled with stuff to another room that looks almost the same as the last one, and filled with some more stuff to look at. This is how OCH might look like as a museum, if we are not allowed to mess with its interior. After ROM and AGO's transformations, Torontonians want museum buildings that engage their senses both on the exterior and in the interior, and in order to accomplish that at OCH, parts of the interior might have to be sacrificed. If we don't want that to happen, maybe a new building is the way to go.

Back