News   Jul 22, 2024
 302     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 555     0 

Globe: Problem with TTC: A one-track mind?

W

wyliepoon

Link to article

The problem with the TTC: funding, or a one-track mind?

JEFF GRAY

Under the Christmas tree this year, almost no one unwrapped a TTC-themed toy, such as a model train or bus. They barely exist. Meanwhile, other transit systems, such as the one in London, England, trade on their iconic status and send tourists home with buckets of stylish, branded souvenirs.

True, selling toys and T-shirts won't build new subways. But the city's former budget chief, David Soknacki, thinks the transit agency's failure to market itself reveals a bigger problem. The Toronto Transit Commission is, in his words, "the ultimate military hierarchy," an outmoded, monolithic, top-down organization too resistant to new ideas. And new ideas -- on how to operate and finance the system -- are needed, he says, if Toronto is going to succeed.

The Tory-leaning Mr. Soknacki, who chose not to run to retain his Scarborough seat in last month's election, now feels freer to speak about ideas he tried to push while he was on the inside of Mayor David Miller's NDP-led government.

Speaking to Dr. Gridlock, he outlined his vision of a drastic dismantling of the TTC that would see it carved into parts co-ordinated by an overarching regional body, in an effort to encourage innovation.

In London, management of the tube, bus and commuter-rail systems is separate, but co-ordinated under one umbrella called Transport for London. Toronto, with the province's new Greater Toronto Transportation Authority as the umbrella, could do something similar, Mr. Soknacki suggested.

Smaller organizations -- one for the subway, one for the buses, one for the streetcars, for example -- would be nimbler and better able to change quickly to keep customers happy, he argued. With clear mandates, they would be easier to hold accountable if service were bad or ridership declined, he suggested.

Baby TTCs, he added, might also be better at coming up with new ideas to help pay for the billions in expansion the network needs to cope with the explosive population growth expected over the next few decades.

While he doesn't argue that public transit will never escape the need for subsidies, he says the city needs new ways of getting private-sector money involved, including so-called public-private partnerships, in use in Europe.

For instance, Mr. Soknacki suggested, instead of building a subway station for $50-million, why not persuade a developer to do it, in exchange for rent payments from the TTC and the right to build high-density condos on the site? Or give developers the right to higher densities along a proposed subway route, on the condition that they pitch in?

The city simply cannot take on the billions in debt required to expand public transit, he argued. As it does, other needs, including new libraries and recreation centres, risk getting squeezed out.

His suggestions meet with a chilly reception at city hall, Mr. Soknacki said. "As soon as people hear change, they man the ideological battlements."

But he insisted he isn't on an ideological crusade: "There is no left and right in public transit."

Asked about his former budget chief's musings, the mayor dismissed any notion that the TTC needs to be broken into bits. "That would destroy public transit in Toronto," Mr. Miller said in an interview.

"The TTC's challenge is not efficiency," he said, pointing to the transit agency's ranking as the most efficient in North America. "The challenge is lack of funding. It's not complicated."

He did acknowledge that the TTC could learn to be nimbler and open to new ideas, including improving its marketing and looking at ways to get more revenue from development above and around subway stations.

But to expand Toronto's transit network, the city needs lots of money. And no amount of tinkering with the TTC's structure will magically produce the required billions, the mayor said: "It is a waste of time and energy to try to reinvent the TTC."

For instance, Mr. Soknacki suggested, instead of building a subway station for $50-million, why not persuade a developer to do it, in exchange for rent payments from the TTC and the right to build high-density condos on the site?

Anyone think that that would actually work? I could understand maybe a Concord might have the economies of scales in their large projects to shell out $50 bucks but we are not talking along highly densified areas where extensions are most likely to take place? Who will be willing to step up in York region? Scarborough? MCC (too late with trying to convince daniels with their project already rolling?).

Also, thats assuming that the developer is willing to take these rent payments instead of selling their units and being done with the project.

I wouldn't trust a developer with building a subway station. Developers, unlike the TTC, have absolutely no experience with building transit infrastructure, above ground or underground. A developer would have a really tough time managing such a project and building it to TTC specifications, and the end result would probably be a very cheap-looking station.

Developers can build the TD Centre and Eaton Centre but not a subway station?

Developers can built better stations than TTC that are cheaper and on a faster schedule. Only problem is some developers are non union and TTC only want union contractors and that is a mistake.

Have you seen TTC project finish on Time? One only has to looked at what has happen for loops, stairwells and St Clair that they are behind schedule. Dundas Sq stairwell was close to a year behind schedule.

Even elevators take too long and look at Jane St or Osgoode to see this today. Osgoode should been finish months ago considering that the Four Season was finish in June. There is still tunnel walkway that is not finish to the Four Season at this time, yet it could had been finish in Oct.

Developers can built better stations than TTC that are cheaper and on a faster schedule.

You state this like it were an absolute fact. Developers can screw up, too.

Been in the business to long for me to not make my statement.

Yes Developers can screw things up and I have seen it first hand.

Then I have seen Engineers and Architect screw projects up from the word go. It boils down to how much money can I make and this applies to all trades.

Change orders is where you can make some good money.

In Ireland some suburban stations have been built by the rail operator but with the local developer (whose planning permission was contingent on the station) paying the bill. The thing is they weren't building a tower atop the station which makes it something of a unitary project.

There is also a partnership called Spencer Dock where a railyard in Dublin was bought into by a developer - there's a large question over whether the rail operator got value for the land though. There is a new suburban station being built and a future underground (electric) commuter rail tunnel through the site.

A better example is a tower planned over one of Dublin's busiest stations, Tara Street, but even in the current building boom it has been deferred a couple of times. If the TTC can take an age to redo Broadview station it doesn't inspire confidence as to how long it would take to build over a TTC station.

My suggestion for a TTC-developer partnership to build up near a subway station? Greenwood (south side of Danforth Avenue in particular). I walked along there Christmas Day and all the for sale signs on garages and fast food outlets - well let's just say I was nearly knocked down by tumbleweed. Building over the Green P lot at Coxwell to create more street frontage and a covered exit to Danforth would be nice too.

Have you seen TTC project finish on Time?
My understanding is that many minor TTC projects are tendered based primarily on low price. That is, they expect contractors to do them in "spare-time" for low cost instead of deadline based work.

Lots of TTC projects which cause a service outage complete in a short time-frame but they also budget for the higher cost of labour and project management oversight that this requires.

It really doesn't matter if an elevator takes 3 years to install instead of 6 months. The start dates are random and the deadline is still many years away. That the commissioners have deferred construction start dates is an indication that they don't care when they complete either. Why spend extra money on something nobody is overly concerned with?

Building over the Green P lot at Coxwell to create more street frontage and a covered exit to Danforth would be nice too.

...but *don't*, for dear life, get rid of the Bus Terminal restaurant...

really? For architectural or food reasons? I have to say I've never been tempted to try it.

A little bit of both, perhaps (ultra-greasy spoon; c1950 brick streamlining)

I don't fully get this. If the point is that the development rights around a new station are worth money that could pay for the expansion, then why not just sell the development rights -- hopefully in a way that required the developer(s) to integrate nicely with the station, area, etc.?

What, in other words, does selling the development rights atop a station, have to do with having the developer build a station itself? Surely the one does not require the other?

I was at Centrepoint Mall on the weekend. Got me thinking about the 80's plan to extend the Yonge line to Steeles all the while redeveloping the mall with a bunch of office and residential towers.

The northeast corner of the mall which is now a parking lot could easily hold 5 or more towers. Give the mall extra density in exchange for them building the station below the towers. The city gets the station for nothing (or certainly for less) while the mall gets money from the condos and from the additional customers for the stores. These additional customers would come from the towers as well as from people living in NYCC. Closest Bay, Zellers and Canadian Tire stores from Sheppard, North York and Finch stations.

Amazes me that this wasn't done with the Sheppard line. Why wasn't the new condo planned for the N/E corner of Bayview and Sheppard (Bayview Village) built directly above the station? Could have saved the cost of the entrance built there if nothing else.

Back