News   Apr 17, 2024
 273     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.7K     1 

Gimme a break!

buildup

Member Bio
Reaction score
Constable Ed007Toronto shut down my thread entitled "cancelled Projects" with the following edict:

"We don't need additional needless speculation on this site. Thread closed."

Now possibly, my thread wasn't the most constructive, but I WAS interested in hearing any rumours or speculation. But Ed's tone is arrogant and perfectly consistent with that ridiculous and officious "Urban Toronto Rules Of Conduct" headline thread that now tops every section.

Anyway, since Constable Ed007 has decided what I need and don't need I wont waste anymore time in this forum which is mostly one-line postings now anyway.

it was a bit harsh. if people don't want to read or join in they can skip to the next thread. closing a thread b/c in your opinion it's speculative...have you read the threads on this site. definitely puts a chill on the open dialogue.

it was a bit harsh. if people don't want to read or join in they can skip to the next thread. closing a thread b/c in your opinion it's speculative...have you read the threads on this site. definitely puts a chill on the open dialogue.

Concur. Ed007; cut the man some slack. Please. :)

speculation is what drove oil prices through the roof. speculation causes problems that need not to be. i can see why the thread was closed down. it's very easy for a developer to post speculation about a competitors project in an attempt to cause uncertainty and make people reluctant to purchase in that project. there are people that believe everything they read on the internet, regardless of evidence.

speculation is what drove oil prices through the roof. speculation causes problems that need not to be. i can see why the thread was closed down. it's very easy for a developer to post speculation about a competitors project in an attempt to cause uncertainty and make people reluctant to purchase in that project. there are people that believe everything they read on the internet, regardless of evidence.

Didn't know this. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks Supremo.

Topic is worthwhile

Some commentary on the forum is uninformed speculation, but if that was the majority of content none of us would keep coming back here. Urban Toronto is actually very informative. Let me weed out poorly argued ideas and logic from sound comments.

Many people on here are well informed. I am very curious to know, of the multitude of projects out there, which are most at risk of failure. Which seem to be in neighbourhoods where sales are weak, which seem to be too costly to build, which developers are able to self-finance or obtain easy financing.

If not Urban Toronto, then where is the right place for this type of discussion?

Lets not forget that some of the latest "uninformed" and "needless" speculation of late turned out to be true. Month's ago newbies with"insider" information claimed that financing for 1 Bloor East had been pulled and that PCL was out as the general contractor. These claims turned out to be TRUE. Happily (for those of us that want to see this tower built) Bazis was able to secure financing from alternate sources (2 European pension funds) and Ellis-Don was brought in as the contractor. So while there were some scary moments it looks like things will turn out OK afterall

Is the speculation on UT so powerful as to create a speculative environment that will drive speculators to speculate, or drive critics of speculation to speculate on how much a speculative opinion will have on generating an environment of speculation?

Lets not forget that some of the latest "uninformed" and "needless" speculation of late turned out to be true. Month's ago newbies with"insider" information claimed that financing for 1 Bloor East had been pulled and that PCL was out as the general contractor. These claims turned out to be TRUE. Happily (for those of us that want to see this tower built) Bazis was able to secure financing from alternate sources (2 European pension funds) and Ellis-Don was brought in as the contractor. So while there were some scary moments it looks like things will turn out OK afterall

It was only one newbie I believe that said that. The rest were just talking crap ;)

As for the topic being closed. Well this is a private website, and well he can do whatever he wishes. If you don't like something, it's best to send a PM, not post a new thread complaining of the action taken. It usually doesn't work out in your favour when you do that.

Sorry if I came across as arrogant. That certainly wasn't my intention, though in retrospect, I can see why it was taken that way. My response was a tad curt.

I'm not a fan of a thread based solely on unsubstantiated rumours. 77 Charles & The Saint Thomas are stalled because buildup says so? What is that based on and what value does it provide to anyone. Having said that, I can see that most people seem to want this thread to stay open. As such the thread is now open and this post is moved to the forum issues discussions.

As for Constable Ed007Toronto (that's pretty funny), we set up this site and our jobs are to maintain order. I think we have a done a good job of it. If you don't like how we do things you are most welcome to leave.

Aside from the specifics of this particular incident, it is worth noting that maintaining any level of civility and intelligent discourse on an internet forum is notoriously difficult. That ed and the other moderators here have largely achieved that is a result of their vigilant moderation and enforcement of the rules. It may seem heavy-handed at times, but is largely necessary.

To be fair to the moderators, I think discussing their moderation decisions in a less accusing way would make their jobs a bit more pleasant.

I support re-opening the thread, and think it's good of the moderators to reconsider their decision. It's not always easy to change your mind.

When I first saw the topic, I thought momentarily that it was started by a moderator to bring all the rumour-mongering into a single thread where those of us could ignore it if we wanted. People should at least admit they are speculating, if they are.

But given the current climate, it doesn't seem wrong to wonder what will make it into existence. It's quite a natural thing to be curious about. I have been pessimistic for a long time, and wrong wrong wrong for much of that. So, we'll see what happens.

Kudos, anyways to Ed for re-opening the post.

Maybe a thread for rumours or a new forum for rumours would be good?
Then all actual contributions to a project can go into the actual projects forum.

Is the speculation on UT so powerful as to create a speculative environment that will drive speculators to speculate, or drive critics of speculation to speculate on how much a speculative opinion will have on generating an environment of speculation?

my brain hurts. :)

Back