News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.1K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 647     0 

Gift cards and HST

spider

Member Bio
Reaction score
Today I purchased a $20 Gift Card at MacDonalds and when I got home and looked the bill I realised that I had been charged HST on my purchase, is this right?

Will the person to whom I give the card also be charged HST when he uses it?

Ooops,
I re-checked the bill this AM, the gift card was one of 18 entries that appeared to be totalled and tax applied to that total. Totalling the 17 entries less the $20 gift card and applying the HST produced the same amount as the bill shows. I guess the cash register is smart enough to exclude the gift card from the taxable total even though it doesn't appear to have done so.
Sorry 'bout that.

In some countries, they pay the value-added (sales tax/HST/whatever) tax to everything, including food. Then the taxpayers have to fill out their income tax returns to get back a portion of the tax collected (on food, children's clothing, medicine, etc.) as a refund. Of course, if one does not fill out their income tax (IE. tourists), they don't get the refund. Still, it ends up as a free loan for the government until they issue the refund.

I recently bought a Cadillac Fairview gift card and they charged me an additional $1.50 "card processing" fee. :eek:

Back