1.9K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 579     0 

George Hislop Park, Norman Jewison Park and Alexander Street Parkette

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I have grouped the above together, as in conjunction with James Canning Gardens, these are the Yonge Street Linear Parks.

They run over the subway tunnel, parallel to and east of Yonge.

All three are being redone, with construction slated to begin sometime this fall.

James Canning Gardens was previously re-done, and I created a thread for that, here:

The City has completed 'Preferred' Concepts for all three spaces, and is now in detailed design and making minor refinements based on feedback.

Link to the presentation from earlier this year is here:

Renders follow:

1629321079110.png

1629321112837.png

1629321147946.png

1629321195127.png

Okay, this one just made me laugh...................

1629321248841.png

1629321283726.png

1629321326907.png

1629321350747.png

1629321379544.png

1629321421126.png

1629321446154.png

1629321473316.png

1629321499427.png

1629321522413.png

My comments:

Overall, a dramatic upgrade from the spaces as they are today.

Not a fan of this style of lighting at all, very wasteful sending light in every direction, including straight into my eyes, instead of focusing it downwards on the path and seating.

Personally, would exclude playground elements in these spaces, they really are too small to create a functional playspace.

Those are needed, and could be added here, but require additional land.

Would have loved to see the small Green P lot added to the design; but unfortunately, that's not happening.

Looks pretty good.

Any chance of speed humps/raised pedestrian crossings at the streets?

Find it weird to see cars parked blocking straight access between the parks

Looks pretty good.

Any chance of speed humps/raised pedestrian crossings at the streets?

Find it weird to see cars parked blocking straight access between the parks

A bump out was done on Gloucester:

1629333656277.png

(photo by me)

Not aware of any other similar treatments at the other cross streets. This one was paid for as part of the benefits of an adjacent development.

Would be nice if they linked the two sides w/decorative paving.

A bump out was done on Gloucester:

View attachment 342535
(photo by me)

Not aware of any other similar treatments at the other cross streets. This one was paid for as part of the benefits of an adjacent development.

Would be nice if they linked the two sides w/decorative paving.
Looking at the designs, it looks like a similar bump-out is planned for Isabella, but nothing for Alexander or Charles unfortunately. This is likely due to, in both cases, the park being on the opposite side of the street from the street parking. So on Alexander we'll probably need to wait for the redevelopment of the Courtyard hotel at 475 Yonge before anything similar is done there.

Also I'm pretty sure the original designs did link the two sides with pavers, but I don't see that in the final product so it may have been value engineered out. Hopefully I'm wrong.

For 2 years now, George Hislop Park has been inaccessible. The park remains closed and fenced off under the guise of park improvements (which aren’t occurring). The park remains accessible to tents however. An absolute failure on the City’s behalf.
D26EA16D-9B43-46D9-B20B-2FDC058B8FAD.jpeg

A3693095-DBB6-440F-8451-A55600A40A5A.jpeg

For 2 years now, George Hislop Park has been inaccessible. The park remains closed and fenced off under the guise of park improvements (which aren’t occurring). The park remains accessible to tents however. An absolute failure on the City’s behalf.
View attachment 392940
View attachment 392941
Yes, that hardly seems how things are supposed to work!

Knowing this city it'll be closed for at least 5 more years. It's so frustrating. Their excuse at the time they closed the park was "we need to let the grass grow back", which it clearly has done, and yet, no park.

It's obvious at this point they are keeping the park closed to avoid encampments (which are still happening anyway), but they don't want to say that because it would look bad. So now we have an awkward gap in the linear park system, with no effort by the city to fix the issue.

Finally.......the tender is out!

1668025358472.png

So the Parks will presumably closed for a good chunk of next year for the refresh that was supposed to start 2 years ago.

Somehow in the city’s world, closing a perfectly adequate park for 3 years to renovate / “improve” it is better than just leaving it as is. Thank god they’re adding pink LED lights though /s

Somehow in the city’s world, closing a perfectly adequate park for 3 years to renovate / “improve” it is better than just leaving it as is. Thank god they’re adding pink LED lights though /s
I mean, we all know the real reason they closed the park, and it had nothing to do with "park improvements". This project being on the horizon did give them that convenient justification though, I guess.

It looks like construction vehicles are already tearing up Alexander St Parkette. Am I wrong but I thought it was being left for now while they work on GHP and NJP?

Alexander Street Parkette has been mostly dug up (although the benches at the entrance are still there), mostly it seems to expose the parking structure underneath. Not sure if they're doing repairs to that before the park gets rebuilt, but it would make sense.

Back