News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.6K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 525     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Gehry's New York skyscraper

This would be welcomed and even celebrated, anywhere in Toronto!

From Ouroussoff's typically windy NY Times review:

But Mr. Gehry is also making a statement. The building’s endlessly shifting surfaces are an attack against the kind of corporate standardization so evident in the buildings to the south and the conformity that it embodied. He aims, as he has throughout his career, to replace the anonymity of the assembly line with an architecture that can convey the infinite variety of urban life. The computer, in his mind, is just a tool for reasserting that variety.

... as if stressing the collective nature of an apartment building by not trying to give every condo owner their own uniquely twisty bit of surface cladding waaaaay up there to proudly point to from the sidewalk to show their friends where they live were some sort of evil.

Gehry is awful. Keep his crap away. Particularly such large projects like this, that can't be hidden easily.

Gehry is awful. Keep his crap away. Particularly such large projects like this, that can't be hidden easily.

OK, I'll bite. What current architect or designer do you prefer, and why?

I obviously don't think Gehry is awful (rather the contrary), but I also have varied taste.

Back