• Changes Every Day

Votes: 19 79.2%
  • Changes every two weeks

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters

Kitsune

Member Bio
Reaction score
A simple poll: Toronto has a real interesting way of doing gas prices... with it changing every day. So with that in mind, would you rather Toronto's gas prices by the day... or other cities gas prices by every two weeks - were gas jumps 15-20 cents then makes a slow down ward trend (about 10-15 cents), only to jump again by 15-20 cents.

I know this is not directly related to the poll, but what do people think about the Costco gas station that is currently trying to expand the number of their pumps. There is an article in the Toronto Star today saying that they've been denied expansion by the city due to the traffice congestion problem that they're creating. In case you dont know the history, the costco gas stations is sell gas for approx 10cents cheaper than the rest of monopoly-controlled Toronto has stations

Everyone: Speaking of gas prices: Does anyone know or can give me an average price currently per liter?

I would like to compare it with what I have seen here in the Northeastern US...

With the Dollar at or near par I was told that a US-equivalent Gallon of gas averages in the $5 range in Canada...

I recall learning that four liters is comparable to the quantity of a US Gallon...

LI MIKE

A pic I took of gas prices when I was in Paris this past weekend:

255611_215438338487247_100000632460422_719016_5710243_n.jpg

dont we have it easy here? :)

Everyone: Speaking of gas prices: Does anyone know or can give me an average price currently per liter?

I would like to compare it with what I have seen here in the Northeastern US...

With the Dollar at or near par I was told that a US-equivalent Gallon of gas averages in the $5 range in Canada...

I recall learning that four liters is comparable to the quantity of a US Gallon...

LI MIKE

http://boating.ncf.ca/convertgascdn.html
http://boating.ncf.ca/convertgasus.html

Formulas provided at the bottom. But ya, we're getting screwed.

US/Canada Gas Price Conversion Charts...very useful information!

http://boating.ncf.ca/convertgascdn.html
http://boating.ncf.ca/convertgasus.html

Formulas provided at the bottom. But ya, we're getting screwed.

Electrify: This is precisely what I was looking for...

This can help clarify the differences in gas pricing formulas for those not used to each other's pricing systems...

Another thing I was wondering is when Canada began selling gas by the liter instead of the 5 quart Imperial Gallon...

Was that change implemented in the late 70s/early 80s era?

The Metric System takes getting used to and at the start it can be confusing to those so used to the traditional English system but I have noticed in the case
of this topic and using the Celsius system for temperatures as prime examples that it
becomes easier over time once you become accustomed to the change...

The USA can be quite resistant to any significant change...noting the near-abandonment of converting to the Metric System,the continued use of Fairenheit temperatures and the reticence to eliminate the US Dollar Bill in favor
of a distinctive Dollar Coin...something that Canada accomplished 20 years ago!

Thoughts from Long Island Mike

Another thing I was wondering is when Canada began selling gas by the liter instead of the 5 quart Imperial Gallon...
I don't think it's ever been sold by the liter, it's sold by the litre.

And I can assure you that when it was sold by Imperial gallon, the gallon only had 4 quarts, or 8 pints!

Was that change implemented in the late 70s/early 80s era?
It was implemented very quickly when gas suddenly shot over $1/gallon, and it became a lot cheaper to change the (then mechanical) pumps to litres, than to modify them to handle a cost greater than 99.9¢. If my memory serves correctly it was in the early-mid 1970s. 1974? 1975?

The Metric System takes getting used to ...
Not sure why ... everyone is taught nothing but metric in school for almost 40 years now ... it's nothing compared to what those crazy Yankees use. Have you tried to work down there? I've worked on projects, where they've provided site-co-ordinates in metres, elevations in feet, flows in US Gallons/minute, and chemical concentrations in milligrams/litre. It's a disaster waiting to happen; I've checked some of their calculations before and discovered that they've done unit conversions using the wrong type of gallon. No wonder that their space program crashed a spaceship into Mars because someone made a metric conversion error!

to those so used to the traditional English system
The USA has never used the traditional English system - hence the tiny pints and gallon, and the failure to use stones.

The Metric System takes getting used to and at the start it can be confusing to those so used to the traditional English system but I have noticed in the case
of this topic and using the Celsius system for temperatures as prime examples that it
becomes easier over time once you become accustomed to the change...
It still takes getting used to. Ask a Canadian their height and weight, and the vast majority will answer you in feet/inches and pounds. I still convert Celsius to Fahrenheit (which is also an infinitely cooler word).

Some people love that we converted, others believe it was just another Trudeau vanity project, and most are probably somewhere in between. You can read all about the history of "metrication" in Canada here.

Changing to the Metric System in Canada...and when it happened...

It still takes getting used to. Ask a Canadian their height and weight, and the vast majority will answer you in feet/inches and pounds. I still convert Celsius to Fahrenheit (which is also an infinitely cooler word).

Some people love that we converted, others believe it was just another Trudeau vanity project, and most are probably somewhere in between. You can read all about the history of "metrication" in Canada here.

GW: Thanks for that Wikipedia article-I wanted to clarify for myself when the Metric changes were implemented...for example I visited Canada for the first time in the Summer of 1979 and just what I figured that gas was already being sold by the liter...and using the Celsius temperatures was already well-established...
LI MIKE

Investigations have apparently been done and nothing definitive has ever been found so we're told. It all still seems fishy to me.

The problem of gas prices is not the price but how it is arrived at. The producers/retailers don't compete with each other, why should they all cut into their profit margin when they simply don't have to and therein lies the problem. They are saving money by supplying each bother with product, why bother with running a fleet of trucks to deliver their supposedly unique products when a no-name trucker can deliver generic gas to 3 or 4 name brand stations with the same trailer load. It would look odd to see an Esso truck filling the underground tanks at a Shell station wouldn't it but that is what is happening.

The solution is forcing them to compete, if 5 grocery stores can sell the identical can of beans at 5 different prices the oil companies excuses look comically artificial.

Back