News   Apr 24, 2024
 264     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 2.4K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 627     0 

Roads: Gardiner Expressway catch-all, incl. Hybrid Design (2015-onwards)

This is my theory, but only to an extent. Because getting the cars onto and off the freeway is an inevitable and never-ending issue that still has a big impact on pedestrians. They'll always be jammed at peak no matter what. Which is why I think maybe we could do away with the Jarvis and Sherbourne ramps. So the freeway is not so much a route into/out of the east-core, more a bypass.

Too bad Dr. Frankenstein is working on this bypass surgery.

This is how it is supposed to look like by 2025 (at least the street portions). The pre-fabrication site will be used to make new decks and pillars for the section between Jarvis and Cherry Street (to be finished December 2020).

View attachment 178804

Pretty sure the section between Jarvis and Cherry is being re-built as is over the next two years. No new pillars. Just a deck replacement to maintain the existing lane arrangement (same as was done west of Spadina).

Last edited:
Pretty sure the section between Jarvis and Cherry is being re-built as is over the next two years. No new pillars. Just a deck replacement to maintain the existing lane arrangement (same as was done west of Spadina).
One one hand I thought that too.

On the other hand the Gardiner is currently 6-lanes wide from west of downtown to Jarvis, and then widens to 8 lanes until the DVP exit. Why would the want to maintain the 8-lane cross-section, when the new structure is only going to be 4 lanes east of Cherry?

It'll be more or less the same setup as today, with 2 lanes going to the DVP and 2 going to Lake Shore -the split will just be moved westward by about 500m.

I wish they could fix the bottleneck where the westbound Gardiner goes down to 2 lanes after the Yonge Street exit. It cuts literally half of the highway's capacity within 200m.

It'll be more or less the same setup as today, with 2 lanes going to the DVP and 2 going to Lake Shore -the split will just be moved westward by about 500m.
I thought it started dropping of the Gardiner more than 500 metres further west.

I have seen so many versions of this, I don't know what the latest is. Is there a plan (rather than an oblique) of the final version? Gosh, looking closely at that oblique version above, it looks more significant than I thought the hybrid proposal was.

Update from today. Sorry, the pictures aren't great, I grabbed them last minute (I was a passenger in the car, don't worry). Looks like they're erecting a massive assembly hall or something like that.

Overall, I'm impressed with the design. If one must take this overall concept 'the hybrid'; then the designers of the public realm are doing well w/that they have to work with.

I question a couple of tree choices. White Birch is not as urban tolerant in my experience as they seem to think. But it will look lovely if it takes.

I feel much the same about Red Maple. I think its the least urban tolerant of the native maples. Silvers are by far the most tolerant, their cultivar 'Acer Freeman' is a street tree favourite as it its a cross between Silver and Red that gives red foliage in the autumn.

Some of the herbaceous plants I have no issue with; others I'm not completely familiar with ..........which means I will look into them further.

The materials representing a truly horrendous waste of time, energy, money, and resources.
Wasn't it established already that the above works are for Enbridge line replacement, as opposed to Gardiner replacement?

Those slabs look more suited to Gardiner repairs than gas line replacement. The gas lines are just being trenched into the ground and backfilled. The Gardiner rehab requires prefab concrete panels to replace the decking.

The Gardiner replacement is still a while away. This is just the deck replacement for the portion that will remain in place (from west of Cherry Street) - similar to the work that occurred on the western portion a few years back.

The scope of work for Contract No. 18ECS-TI-01GE involves replacing the 1.1 kilometres of concrete deck and girders of the Expressway between Jarvis Street and Cherry Street, replacing the westbound off-ramp at Sherbourne Street and the eastbound on-ramp at Jarvis Street, rehabilitating the westbound off-ramp leading to Yonge, Bay and York Streets, and installing new street lighting along the Expressway and ramps. Construction is planned to commence in the Fall of 2018 and be completed by the end of 2020

Last edited:
I guess I could've also just gone to the previous page instead of trying to look up the details. This picture specifies its for the Gardiner.

Nah, your explanation is great and provided some much needed answers. I see this giant sarcophagus forming, and that it's simply to repair the existing expwy and has little to do with the rejigging is news to me. Will have to rectify what I've been telling people.

Back