587     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 364     0 

Gag-g-g-g....

adma

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
https://www.thestar.com/life/homes/...-custom-renovation-in-time-for-christmas.html

DROOPY+2.png

Shawn Micallef was complaining about this destruction on Twitter over the weekend. Turning a nice example of mid-century architecture into some faux French château- like house modelled after the ones would see on some of the Real Housewives shows. Tacky. The interiors of the house were obviously in rough (ugly) shape, but what a misguided renovation.

I knew what article this would reference based on the title of the thread alone! Truly amazing.

Sign you have been spending too much time on UT? :D

On the house itself...not sure how blinged up crystal (?) chandeliers (never mind that one isn't enough, we need three lined up) fits with Eames Eiffel chairs (if it is the real thing). But putting them atop magenta rugs (x2) on top of another rug is tres hot, supposedly.

And holy cow, how many Christmas trees does this place have? Three that I can count? Since when is paring them ever a good idea?

Someone call Architectural Digest, quick.

AoD

Last edited:
I'm more stunned by the fact that a high school teacher and guidance counsellor can afford such a reno. Just looking at Windsor house prices at the moment, wow!

Excuse the uninformed here.

I'm by no means being apologetic for the renovation end-result, but what was so special about the home pre-renovation?

50s-60s Modernism tends to be a favourite of architecture buffs (over other styles) for some reason, particularly around here.

(this isn't me hating on modernism, I like it when it's done well, it's just clearly the favourite on this site)

50s-60s Modernism tends to be a favourite of architecture buffs (over other styles) for some reason, particularly around here.

(this isn't me hating on modernism, I like it when it's done well, it's just clearly the favourite on this site)

I'm not sure that's true (even around here people get excited about all types of good architecture). However, I do find that architecture buffs tend to be more defensive of the merits of 50s-60s modernism, given that the general public tends to go "oooh, aaah" over anything Victorian but tend to say "that's not heritage" when faced with mid-century architecture.

Back