Future of the Hearn Generating Station

Few more shots...

Screenshot 2023-12-09 at 11.38.52 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-09 at 11.42.48 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-09 at 11.37.17 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-09 at 11.41.26 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-10 at 6.12.41 PM.jpg

Tate Toronto!

I visited Battersea last month and while it isn't necessarily what we'd want here, it did reinforce to me that there is no way we should let this building come down, even if CF were to purchase it.
How about a branch of the Pompidou Centre? Hermitage? Doesn’t matter as long as it broadens what is available and they reuse the space creatively. BTW is CF thinking of buying this?! Last I heard it was Studios of America that had purchased it from the Province.

How about a branch of the Pompidou Centre? Hermitage? Doesn’t matter as long as it broadens what is available and they reuse the space creatively. BTW is CF thinking of buying this?! Last I heard it was Studios of America that had purchased it from the Province.
Though I agree it would be great to see the Hearn returned to a public use, I doubt strongly that any non-Canadian museum will buy it to set up a branch plant here and the Hermitage is clearly a non-starter. It was sold to Studios of America in 2018 and there is lots about its history etc in this City Report of 2019. https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2019/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-130109.pdf

Though I agree it would be great to see the Hearn returned to a public use, I doubt strongly that any non-Canadian museum will buy it to set up a branch plant here and the Hermitage is clearly a non-starter. It was sold to Studios of America in 2018 and there is lots about its history etc in this City Report of 2019. https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2019/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-130109.pdf
My CF comment was a just a joke vaguely referring to what they did at Unilever.

I actually can't see a Canadian museum wanting it either. Most museums don't have deep pockets and this structure screams costly infrastructure that would expensive to render it useable for both public access as well as factors such as environmental remediation, artifact storage and display. It would need to be a sizeable museum that would properly make use of the large space and any that I can think of already have a home unless some are thinking this would be a good alternative for the Ontario Science Centre. Anything publicly funded would be a money pit and voters generally aren't in favour of those.

I saw a business case study for how to approach developmentt in The Portland and The Hearn site is mentioned. Apparently there are no obstacles to development from the government’s point of view with extending utilities to the complex being the only major undertaking. I thought that this was interesting as I expected any movement here to be long down the list of possibilities!

Well, two cultural amenities the city is sorely lacking is a decent modern art gallery and a planetarium. I'm just dreaming here, but the Hearn could easily fit them both!

Back