News   Apr 24, 2024
 829     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 547     0 

Four Seasons little brother

billy corgan

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is a picture of Sudbury’s proposed performing arts centre. Looks like Diamond's poor mans opera house design is being adopted in other world-class cities.

pac_5.jpg

pac_4.jpg

Naw. If Sudburyans really wanted to show themselves as bumpkins-in-the-moonscape, they'd use this as an architectural model
rose1.jpg

This is a picture of Sudbury’s proposed performing arts centre. Looks like Diamond's poor mans opera house design is being adopted in other world-class cities.

hahahaha! That's hilarious! It's pretty much a complete ripoff of our 4SC... all the way from the city room, to the stacked boxes and fly tower and even the little "square" on University/Queen with the large wall and the poster. They even have a mirror of the blank Queen Street wall.

This goes to show you how cheap and unoriginal the exterior of the 4SC really is...

I'm sensing some subtle digs at my hometown here... ok, not so subtle.

Anyway, good for Sudbury. Hopefully, it'll get built before the boom ends.

As for Toronto, I think we all (even fans of the building) realise that we got the No Frills version of an opera house. Like I mentioned earlier, even the Diamond folks have mixed feelings about it.

Actually for a city its size, Sudbury has some pretty interesting projects on the go. Here is the new multi-use recreational complex.

rec_1-new.jpg

rec_2-new.jpg

rec_concourse.jpg

Diamond's new Performing Arts Centre in Burlington...

AssetFactory.aspx

There appears to be a little more effort on the part of Diamond's office to texture the blank spaces and add more greenery/landscaping. The centre straddles a commercial 'downtown' zone and a residential neighbourhood with a heritage feel to it.

Happily, 'suburban' Burlington is embracing modernism in its public landmarks, recognizing that one day they too will become 'heritage' along side its beautiful Victorian buildings...

Burlington Waterfront Centre:
AssetFactory.aspx

AssetFactory.aspx

The new pier under construction...

AssetFactory.aspx

Burlington Art Centre:

FrontEntranceoutside_fade.jpg

Burlington central library:

05_09front.jpg

I applaud every attempt to bring metropolitan-quality architecture to our smaller, provincial towns. A building like this in a small town serves multiple purposes: it elevates the public realm dramatically, moreso than it would in Toronto; it usually breeds more intense civic pride than a similar structure in a large city, and, it mellows the level of condescension that small towners have for Toronto whenever we get a piece of first-rate architecture for ourselves.

Also:

I've noticed that provincial towns and cities subliminally emulate the architectural grandeur of the regional metropolis to some degree.

For example, the towns of upstate New York showed their wealth at the turn of the century by building dramatic Beaux Arts mini-highrises and dignified brownstones that could be at home anywhere in Manhattan. It's quite amazing to drive down the main street of Utica, NY (pop. 50,000) or spend a lunch hour walking in Troy, NY. Similar-sized pre-war cities elsewhere in the US do not offer quite the regal first impressions that those upstate New York towns do. I don't think that the citizens of Troy or Utica were necessarily more artistically enlightened than the residents of similar-sized cities elsewhere in the US at the time, but that the people could look to the larger city - even if they did not admit it - for architectural guidance.

Similarly, I don't think that this performing arts centre in Sudbury necessarily reflects the desire of Sudburians (??) to be like Toronto, but the recent modernist architecture in Toronto gives them a sort of primer on how to build.

I had no yet seen the rendering of the PAC in Burlington. I like it. It fits in well with the scale and style of the existing neighbourhood and there will be more than enough greenery to entrench the area.

It is hard to tell from there render but it appears as if the new PAC will inherit the brown-brick facade of the existing police station that is slated to be demoslished to make way for the PAC.

I am a really big fan of Burlington's 'downtown' and have enjoyed following its intensification and development over the past 10 years. Rob MacIssac (now the chair of Metrolinx/GTTA) was the Mayor who really championed downtown’s revitalization. Under this watch, the City began to appreciate its waterfront and used it as a magnet to attract new development. They put a lot of cash into revamping it which resulted in a few apartments, condos stores. The City narrowed the two main streets (Brant and Lakeshore) and added bike lanes. They've negotiated with the developers for some public improvements, including a deal with the developer interested in building a hotel and two condos to pay for an extension of its waterfront park. They've also put modest investments into Burlington Beach (if only they could get rid of the hydro wires overhead).

In the past 7 years, 5 high rises (10-15 or so storey) were build downtown with two more under construction. More than 50 work/live high density town homes with retail bases and a few cultural facilities were also built. Burlington is quickly revitalizing its "downtown" and doing a really impressive job at that.

D+S also designed Washington's Shakespeare Theatre, another modest Toronto Style cultural centre which opened last year to rave reviews.

http://www.dsai.ca/ ( go to Portfolio and Performance )

I was taken to something at the Four Seasons Centre last night, and the people we spoke to during the intermissions are as madly in love with the place as ever.

D+S also designed Washington's Shakespeare Theatre, another modest Toronto Style cultural centre which opened last year to rave reviews.

I'm not surprised... it looks quite good.

2045821666_750fd91c68_o.jpg

2177016540_117f865a0c_b.jpg

Back