News   Mar 28, 2024
 326     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 265     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 298     0 

Found a building just like gooderham built same year

Have you actually gone and looked at the lighting recently? Last week I would say that 99% of it was working fine so not sure that anyone is not doing their job - at the moment. My point above was that if one notices problems it makes no sense to complain here but not (also) to those responsible. BIAs and neighbourhood associations do have people who try to ensure 'streetscape issues' are addressed and often have City contacts that can speed things up but they too rely on City staff to actually do the work.
No. I was going off of what Andrea said. She mentioned some problems and that they weren't addressed when she raised them to those who are responsible; and still haven't been (weeks, months later?).

Here's the Delmonico building in NYC (e. 1890):

NYC 2015
by KIDKUTSMEDIA, on Flickr

Wow thanks for posting this! is it just me did as soon as I started this thread it went completely off topic :p Onto the buildings, I couldn't be a coincidence that abunch 0f similar buildings were built the same year could it :p they must of been inspired by eachother. I wonder if there's any more

Wow thanks for posting this! is it just me did as soon as I started this thread it went completely off topic :p Onto the buildings, I couldn't be a coincidence that abunch 0f similar buildings were built the same year could it :p they must of been inspired by each other. I wonder if there's any more
Take a look at http://scoutmagazine.ca/2011/09/01/secret-city-on-why-vancouver-has-so-many-flat-iron-buildings/ and the Wiki entry on the 1772 Maryland Inn at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historic_Inns_of_Annapolis#The_Maryland_Inn and remember that the Flatiron building here was preceded by the (similarly-shaped) Coffin Block.

I think Kamuix is not pointing out the general phenomenon of wedge-shaped flatiron bulidings, but rather that some of these buildings share remarkably similar design characteristics.

To answer the question: it's unlikely that these buildings were directly inspired by each other; they share common architectural elements that you'd expect to see on buildings designed by architects working within the Beaux-Arts idiom, such as big arched windows, pediments, rusticated ground floor, etc. If you study examples of this style, you'll start to recognize it everywhere, and not just on flatiron buildings, but on standard shapes of buildings and bridges and in a variety of materials.

What we're seeing here is the Beaux-Arts style applied to coincidentally flatiron-shaped buildings (by virtue of the property each of them were built on ) using similar building materials, like sandstone and brick.

Back