News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.4K     6 

Found a building just like gooderham built same year

Kamuix

Member Bio
Reaction score
In the city of Spokane finished 1891... when I saw the image then saw the year I was like wow... it's lost brother? How could these two buildings not have the same designer? Are their any others alike ours?

SpokaneReviewTower1.jpg

saturdayapril-118-edit.jpg

Unlike ours, I'm sure that one is properly lit up at night. The St. Lawrence Neighbourhood Lighting Initiative is never going to happen. This city is pathetic when it comes to this stuff.

I can believe you the politics of cities these days are all corrupt.. atleast it looks good in the daytime still I hope :p

Unlike ours, I'm sure that one is properly lit up at night. The St. Lawrence Neighbourhood Lighting Initiative is never going to happen. This city is pathetic when it comes to this stuff.
The reason/excuse is that the City cannot spend public $$ on a private building - the City has lit and is working on lighting more of its own buildings (St Lawrence Hall, Market, Young Peoples Theatre) and encouraging (with help from the BIA) the lighting of private buildings like the Flatiron, the cathedral and the row on Front Street opposite Berczy Park.

The city won't even maintain the lighting they installed on St. Lawrence Hall a few years ago, so the last thing you would want is for the city to put this building into similarly shabby shape.

Aside from the lights that don't work and haven't worked for some time now, and the ones that are out of place and shine out over the sidewalk. Yep, looks great. And don't get me going on the purple and green gels they put over the lights to make it look festive for Christmas and leave up until Victoria Day or so.

Aside from the lights that don't work and haven't worked for some time now, and the ones that are out of place and shine out over the sidewalk. Yep, looks great. And don't get me going on the purple and green gels they put over the lights to make it look festive for Christmas and leave up until Victoria Day or so.
If there are lights etc not working or not working properly you should tell both 311 and the Manager of the St Lawrence complex Nick Simos <nsimos@toronto.ca> The coloured gels are not to my taste either but some people DO like them and I think they have already been removed this year - I certainly did not notice them last night.

The reason/excuse is that the City cannot spend public $$ on a private building - the City has lit and is working on lighting more of its own buildings (St Lawrence Hall, Market, Young Peoples Theatre) and encouraging (with help from the BIA) the lighting of private buildings like the Flatiron, the cathedral and the row on Front Street opposite Berczy Park.
How do other cities manage to light buildings; why is this so difficult in Toronto (no matter who is responsible)?

The SLNLI has been in a lethargic state for what; a decade, or more? I bet another decade will pass and the cathedral and Gooderham Building will still be unlit. I'm astonished that St. Lawrence Hall ever got illuminated. Who is paying for that?

If there are lights etc not working or not working properly you should tell both 311 and the Manager of the St Lawrence complex Nick Simos <nsimos@toronto.ca> The coloured gels are not to my taste either but some people DO like them and I think they have already been removed this year - I certainly did not notice them last night.
Why isn't manager on top of this? This is one of the finest buildings in the entire city. You'd expect it to be monitored for such things regularly and repaired asap. It shouldn't require the initiative of citizens to bring this to the attention of those responsible. Does the BIA not have a team of people that look after streetscape concerns and have issues thoroughly concerned when they arise?

Last edited:
Why isn't manager on top of this? This is one of the finest buildings in the entire city. You'd expect it to be monitored for such things regularly and repaired asap. It shouldn't require the initiative of citizens to bring this to the attention of those responsible. Does the BIA not have a team of people that look after streetscape concerns and have issues thoroughly concerned when they arise?
Have you actually gone and looked at the lighting recently? Last week I would say that 99% of it was working fine so not sure that anyone is not doing their job - at the moment. My point above was that if one notices problems it makes no sense to complain here but not (also) to those responsible. BIAs and neighbourhood associations do have people who try to ensure 'streetscape issues' are addressed and often have City contacts that can speed things up but they too rely on City staff to actually do the work.

Last night the same lights that have been not working for months now were still not working, and the lights that are on but knocked out of place were still out of place, and the tacky coloured gels are still there lighting up the builidng in purple and green.

Last night the same lights that have been not working for months now were still not working, and the lights that are on but knocked out of place were still out of place, and the tacky coloured gels are still there lighting up the builidng in purple and green.
I emailed the Manager today and got a very speedy response saying "I will have my staff take care of it". Maybe it won't happen but it reinforces the idea that if you want something fixed you need to report it to the people responsible (or 311) and not only to UT.

Back