News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 288     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 813     0 

Foster to design tower complex in Calgary

I think Calgary needs this project, right now the tallest tower in Calgary is Petro Canada building at 702 feet. The York hotel was cheap housing. and the area that building is going up in will undoubtably get alot better.

brandname architecture - wank wank.

"Foster's" Deutsche Bank building in Sydney is well... pretty nuff nuff. It's all about being a show-pony when realistically it;s a building which sits isolated with barren street-frontages, has this enormous full-building-height atrium for the sake of having one and a massive cavity at ground level which left me thinking 'wtf is this for' when Sydney is a city which has a very limited supply of sites for prime office space and is constantly under attack from North Shore developers who lure all the tenants that should be in the CBD into campuses in the middle ring Sydney burbs.

Oh but it's a Foster!

I shouldn't really be ranting too much, but I've just come back from Shagney and saw how horribly hyped this building is by the locals (on OzScrapers).

:p

I hate Deutsche Bank. Ugly latice work on the tower and it is definately not over 200 metres because of the poles. Yet they still say it is and claim it nice. Definately overhyped.

yes.gif

From Foster and Partners:

Foster and Partners to design new corporate headquarters complex for EnCana

15th December 2005

Foster and Partners has been selected to design a new office complex development in downtown Calgary. The EnCana New Building Project will be headquarters to Canada’s leading energy company, EnCana Corporation.

Following a thorough selection process and a visit to the Foster studio, EnCana based the decision on Foster and Partners’ demonstration of a clear understanding and alliance with the company’s values, principles, and progressive approach to issues of sustainability. Foster and Partners also offered unrivalled experience of the design of high quality, energy efficient offices and headquarters buildings, as well as the ability to achieve planning solutions through appropriate expressions of public space and civic values.

The project, located between Seventh and Fifth Avenues and spanning two city blocks, will be the first significant commercial project east of Centre Street in downtown Calgary. Locked into the fabric of the city, it will have a strong impact on the urban context. Its scope and magnitude offers a unique opportunity to set the tone of development for this emerging urban quarter - to provide a highly efficient, exemplar sustainable scheme.

“We chose the signature architect based on their ability to meet EnCana’s business interests and create a signature development. Foster and Partners was clearly the firm to do that,†Craig Reardon, EnCana New Building Project Lead

Norman Foster said, “We are thrilled to have this opportunity to meet EnCana’s business objectives with the design of a new office complex - to capture the collective consciousness of Calgary and to articulate the philosophy of an ambitious and progressive tenant. We hope to set a bold precedent for high quality, environmentally sustainable development of the downtown area while responding to the civic values of the city.â€

For further information please contact Katy Harris or Josephine Cutts at Foster and Partners Tel. 44 (0)20 7738 0455, Fax 44 (0)20 7943 6097,
email: press@fosterandpartners.com

I said:
I can't wait for the delicious irony between Foster's committment to green buildings and literal hot air from Encana.

They said:
Following a thorough selection process and a visit to the Foster studio, EnCana based the decision on Foster and Partners’ demonstration of a clear understanding and alliance with the company’s values, principles, and progressive approach to issues of sustainability.

AoD

Back