2.1K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.8K     3 

Foriegn film 'Mongol' only playing at Varsity Cinema

Arob

Member Bio
Reaction score
Foreign film 'Mongol' only playing at Varsity Cinema

Movie Lovers in Toronto are lucky. The get to see limited release movies long before the rest of Canada. The Russian film Mongol which is so good it was nominated for an Academy Award last year, still hasnt been put into wide release in North America yet, and is only going into a very limited release on June 6th 2008.

2538355087_8197f68360.jpg

This movie is very similar to Conan the Barbarian and I suppose Braveheart too, but in this case Temudjin (Ghengis Khan) gets lucky and marries a smart woman who actually saves his butt a few times.

Mongol is an absolutely stunning historical epic by Russian filmmaker Sergei Bodrov.

Hopefully people will be going out in hordes to see it.

Thank you for the heads-up, Arob. We're very lucky in Toronto in being able to see films that probably aren't available anywhere else in Canada. The Royal Cinema has shown some willingness to schedule things like this, and of course there is a lot that shows up at the Film Festival. I will watch for Mongol.

Thanks for the heads up. I just watched the trailer and this is one bad ass movie. It even got 90% on rotten tomatoes!

It seems very much braveheart'ish. I hope the movie stays true to the historcal facts as much as possible. Most likely it will be bent a little bit for movie/audience values, but that's alright. Mel Gibson did the same in Braveheart.

I can't believe I haven't heard of this before, I will definitely go check it out.

Any idea if this is subtitled or dubbed? I've seen TV spots for this on Comedy Central which is the oddest place to be seeing them so I'm hoping they haven't dubbed it.

I have also seen it and can recommend it on so many levels. Wonderful acting, fantastic cinematography and a very interesting story about a charcter of whom we know very little ... and the always excellent acting of Tadanobu Asano (Zatoichi, Taboo). Hopefully, Director Bodrov will be able to create the entire trilogy.

I just saw this and loved it! Epic storytelling, brutal battle sequences and a good sense of humour make this film worth seeing, and you even get to learn some Mongolian! "Macchh!"

Oh, and I've been making that Mongolian battle cry/meditation noise for weeks now:D

Back