News   Apr 19, 2024
 461     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 796     3 

Ford Gov't Selling Naming Rights for GO Stations

Have to GO on the GO, use this washroom sponsored by Charmin. :D :D :D

B00DOSANPW_charmin_201307314_4627_lg.jpg

From link.

There's only one metro station that I can think of that has its naming rights completely sold off: Pattison Station in Philadelphia. It became AT&T Station, now it's NRG Station. It's the station nearest the sports venues at the bottom end of the Broad Street Subway. There is the example here of the YRT bus terminal at VMC, and I was worried that would set a precedent.

More commonly, stations have a sponsor, whose name is on the station signs and on maps, but usually not announced on trains. The Q-Line streetcar in Detroit (itself privately built) is a good example.

If Metrolinx is selling off naming rights for parking lots, I am hoping to get enough Simpsons fans together so we can have the Itchy Lot and the Scratchy Lot. They also work in French!

Itchy.jpg

Companies can buy full rights to new stations without having to reference the location name, so we could end up with Sony PlayStation, or if the Space network wanted to, there could be a Space Station.
Why not Red Lobster's Crustacean Station?
Or Marine Land's Cetacean Station?

Seriously, the world won’t end if ML acquires corporate sponsorship - lots of agencies do that. What matters is whether it’s done with restraint and taste, or whether it becomes a crass commercial overreach. With Dofo and his clowns leading the parade, I know which I predict.
The bigger issue is that the potential yield is awfully small in relation to the funds needed by ML and potentially the subway system. At best, this is a trivial fiscal effort that amounts to virtue signalling. The biggest risk is that it encourages a viewpoint that transit is not a cost to the taxpayer and money will just fall out of the sky to enable major projects. The reality is that there has to be a much more mature and less superficial dialogue with the taxpayer, as their contribution is how things get built. That mature dialogue is beyond Ford’s capability. The clowns have been sent in instead.

- Paul .

Last edited:

Back