Another good CNE for me this year.

DSCF0781.jpg

DSCF0789.jpg

DSCF0782.jpg

DSCF0788.jpg

P1000251.jpg

DSCF0784.jpg

P1000255.jpg

The only problem with the Food Buildings these days is that it just another food court. In the old days (70's for me) you'd get all sorts of deals. A penny for a large Coke for example.

The only problem with the Food Buildings these days is that it just another food court. In the old days (70's for me) you'd get all sorts of deals. A penny for a large Coke for example.

It was more a manufacturers show then; the idea was you would sample the foods and go out and buy them from the supermarket. I miss those times too.

I remember when there was a small included-with-admission auto show. It was in the Auto Building, 'natch.

I'd say the biggest change is how many more overweight patrons there are now versus then.

I miss Maple Leaf Foods, Shopsy's, and Schneider's giving out free samples of their products at the Food Building. Oh, oh! Make that cooked free samples.

The shopping bags, hats, and other advertising handouts were also given out, free. They may have had their names on them, but the price was right.

I don't understand how the CNE can charge admission anymore. Food isn't cheaper, and there are very few freebies.

I got in for free this year by taking the streetcar to the end of the loop and telling the kid at the Ex entrance turnstile that I'd forgotten to get off at the previous stop to meet friends outside the Princes' Gates entrance. She ushered me through, and pointed me back towards the entrance ... and I slipped into the grounds.

*sigh* I miss my Eurovacation, where fat people were so rare that I went all Steve Irwin (my boyfriend insisted on taking pictures too) when I saw one.

I must admit that this is the first time I've seen a picture taken in Toronto from the 50s that featured more litter than a current photo.

Actually, didn't I hear that at least at these kinds of events, litter was once more common than today, i.e. not as many trash receptacles, and it was left up to the professional litter-pickers...

Back