News   Apr 18, 2024
 3.9K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.2K     4 

Fixing the Rundown TTC

junctionist

Member Bio
Reaction score
The Star's Fixer column is looking for suggestions as to what to pressure politicians to fix about the declining cleanliness and overall appearance of the system. But with this sudden opportunity, what can we suggest? A new, tested signage standard?
__

We're taking week-long look at the grubby, rundown TTC
Broken escalators, half-finished repairs, litter everywhere – but it wouldn't cost ton of cash to fix
Feb 09, 2008 04:30 AM
Jack Lakey

It's time to raise hell about the run-down state of Toronto Transit Commission facilities.

For anyone who's been riding the TTC for a dozen years or longer, the ongoing decline of its stations is startling, to say the least.

In terms of service and cleanliness, the TTC for decades set the standard for major North American transit systems. A quick look at any station except the few on the recently opened Sheppard line will confirm that those days are long gone.

It's not just too many escalators out of service, or doors barricaded with hand-lettered signs telling riders to find another way in or half-finished repairs left to languish for months. It is the overall grubbiness of the stations that's troubling. There was a time when litter would barely hit the floor at a TTC station before it was swept up. The facilities could honestly be described as spotless.

There is so much litter underfoot at any station and so much grime on the floors, walls and windows that they can only be thought of as a shabby embarrassment. Worse, the TTC seems indifferent to the decay; if it wasn't, things would be better.

For years, we've been getting emails and calls from readers who are fed up with the situation, but until now, we've always dealt with their complaints on a one-off basis.

We're planning a week-long look at maintenance and hygiene problems at stations, starting with an interview with TTC general manager Gary Webster about when the decline began and the contributing factors.

It's not that problems to do with service, equipment and routes aren't worth a bunch of stories; we'll save those topics for another day. We wanted to instead focus on things that the TTC might be able to improve without huge outlays of cash, which is always in short supply at any city agency.

Is it unreasonable to expect the floors and windows at a station to be kept clean? Is clearing the litter that blows around the front of so many stations too much to ask?

We need your input on what the problems are, and where to find them. Email us at the address below or call with the details.

We'll use four or five examples from readers to highlight the problems, then finish the week by trying to extract a commitment from the politicians on the TTC board to improve the situation, although we are prepared to be disappointed.

The bathrooms are barely usable at most TTC stations. I know it would be controversial, but I'd honestly rather pay a .25 cent surcharge to use the facilities if they could guarntee they were clean (as is common in Europe).

well at least they aren't in this condition....yet.

(pics originally posted on ssc)

img_35.jpg

img_44179.jpg

img_32.jpg

img_34.jpg

img_44177.jpg

img_185.jpg

img_187.jpg

img_190.jpg

img_191.jpg

img_192.jpg

img_44174.jpg

img_44175.jpg

and really NY has changed since those dark times...

Besides there being very little lighting what is wrong with that station? i think a station like that could look pretty damned cool. Not to mention all the exposed columns and brickwork..

p5

While the TTC doesn't really have a big problem with graffiti, "scratchitti" seems to be getting worse, especially on subway trains.

How appropriate is it for the Fixer to write about the 'rundown TTC' this week. Today the SRT was out of service during both morning and evening rush hours (and I assume the rest of the day). The end is definitely near for the SRT.

just make it a subway...

It appears subways don't have a problem with snow.

^ The solution could be even more simple... just cover the tracks with tarp or a temporary roof around wintertime to prevent snow from drifting onto the tracks.

Actually the problem with snow also affects portions of the subway above ground, for example the stretch of the Bloor-Danforth subway between Victoria Park and Warden. Trains traveled that stretch at an agonizingly slow speed with frequent stops during the snowstorm yesterday.

just make it a subway...

It appears subways don't have a problem with snow.

too bad that ain't the truth- i don't know how many times i have been delayed because of that exact problem..its ridiculous

p5

The North Spadina subway also has this problem. And semi-open stations like Glencarin are wind tunnels, and the snow is getting in easy.

Actually, I'd say many of the Spadina stations - particularly Yorkdale, Wilson and Lawrence West - have aged the worst. Then there's Eglinton West's leaky roof over the platforms.

Back