Toronto Five St Joseph | 160.93m | 48s | Five St. Joseph | Hariri Pontarini

Wow, it's already almost at grade. As of today Five, X2, U Condos, Theatre Park and Southcore Delta are all near or slightly above grade. Those are all 500 footers by good architects. Things are getting exciting now.

St Joseph st. will soon become another Charles st. with a lot of residential developments such as Five, U Condo, 1000 Bay and Britt. Which street will be more lovely, St Joseph or Charles?

Today:

7e0LM.jpg

k9BPb.jpg

BBtcb.jpg

^^^for the second pic above, what they are gonna do with these old building walls south of fivecondo's tower? i guess these who own suites with south exposure on lower floors would be frustrated a bit?

I had a friend who lived in one of those apartments above what was then a hair salon at 588 Yonge, just south of here. It was a huge, cool apartment with a fire escape out back where the kitchen was.
If I recall correctly they purchased the laneway and the north part of it will be decked over with glass to connect with the St. Joseph section so presumably the backs of those buildings will be cleaned up and restored. I'm kind of surprised that the rental units above the retail shops on Yonge St. don't have to be returned to rental units, or perhaps they are.

The backs of those buildings are coming down and the interiors are being rebuilt. ERA Architects discovered little worth saving in there. It's all covered in a story we ran in late November or early December.

30 January 2013: Anyone else having doubts about this project? The tower is pretty boring and doesn't work with the historic storefronts. Perhaps I'm jaded after oggling Toronto's own Alison Brooks Architecture this AM.

20130130144227.jpg

Looks like it's approaching grade, but does it make the grade?

Sure, but in the future I'd appreciate it if you spoke with me with some more respect. Thanks.

The apartment building at about 11 o'clock in the picture might as well have been built at Ellesmere and Birchmount. Same with the one peering out in the far right side of the picture.

As for CASA, it looks sharp, but out of place from this angle because it's not situated well--but that's just from this angle. Looking at it from, say, Robarts places it very nicely in context.

The terrible weather doesn't help things look any less dismal, either.

The cool thing about downtown is the mixture of different styles, eras, heights, uses etc. This location is hardly dismal. My 2 cents.

Sure, but in the future I'd appreciate it if you spoke with me with some more respect. Thanks.

Disrespect? You posted a very quick, subjective evaluation and didn't even take the time to tell us why. That's fine, but so is me asking you to explain what you meant in your post.

But yeah, I have to disagree with your evaluation. What's wrong with 60s apartment buildings? A mix of architecture is what makes downtown really cool.. you get those "onion layers" of history.

Last edited:
The apartment building at about 11 o'clock in the picture might as well have been built at Ellesmere and Birchmount. Same with the one peering out in the far right side of the picture.

How they maintain the building and the grounds there (another landscaping project is currently underway) might distinguish it from what one might find at Ellesmere and Birchmount, nothing against Ellesmere & Birchmount, I grew up a stone throw from there, plus it's been a condo co-op for a few decades now.

Back