Toronto First Canadian Place Rejuvenation | 298.08m | 72s | Brookfield | MdeAS Architects

I think of they were platinum or steel they'd suit the building much better

Platinum? seriously?
Enclosing a transmission antenna in a metallic/conductive shroud does not work if you wish to continue broadcasting.

Platinum? seriously?
Enclosing a transmission antenna in a metallic/conductive shroud does not work if you wish to continue broadcasting.
I should be more specific. Platinum in color, not in material. That said I wasn't anticipating they'd be shrouded in platinum, rather the antennae would be darker in color. Once again, much like the current set up on 1WTC.

Edit: Like this...
20170627_153229.jpg

Attachments

• 20170627_153229.jpg
    20170627_153229.jpg
    507 KB · Views: 1,256
Last edited:
What are the chances? As far as I know, Brookfield leases roof space to telecommunications companies that erect their own equipment. This is just a decades old pipedream for cleaning up the top of FCP.

Very much a pipedream. It's just, sadly, become a mess up there that I think kinda ruins the work they've done to the building. I see no reason why it wouldn't be possible, it's more a matter of them just not having any reason to do it.

The spire on the WTC is an architectural feature, the broadcast antennas that have been mounted on it are exposed.

They're on the ring below, correct. However it's entirely possible to figure out a better broadcasting solution on the tower that's less of a mess than it currently is. This is all highly fantasy so I really wouldn't put too much thought into the ideas here...

You're correct there are indeed some on the "spire" as well. In any case, Doug, this is just fantasy and pipedreams so I wouldn't worry too much about the technical aspects. Purely wondering about aesthetic, the technical aspects would only be a concern should something like this ever (and likely never) occur!

The photoshopped rendering with one to two larger, taller (Sears, WTC) spires doesn't appeal to me. I would prefer to see the clutter as well as the scale reduced. I like the suggestion of Commerce Court West's understated pole.

P.S. I know it's not called Sears anymore.

You're correct there are indeed some on the "spire" as well.

All the panels for one, broadband antenna array.
The transmitter outputs are combined and fed to the array on one common transmission line....just like we do on the CN tower.

this is just fantasy and pipedreams so I wouldn't worry too much about the technical aspects.

Similar to the call for burying power lines, most people don't understand the technical aspects and seem to get upset that it hasn't already been done...it's easy isn't it?

Similar to the call for burying power lines, most people don't understand the technical aspects and seem to get upset that it hasn't already been done...it's easy isn't it?

Definitely not easy, but not impossible. My 5 minute photoshop surely isn't an indication of final product rather the intended direction. There's a plethora of functional antennae on towers that look much nicer than the mess on FCP. I believe what we are all trying to get at is it would be great if the time and money were spent to give this building more of a crown it deserves and these are simply our visions of that bright future. It won't happen, for the money reasons, but it's never impossible.

Anyways, I feel like no matter what's posted there will always be someone to pipe-in about the technical issues. We're just trying to have a little fun!

Anyways, I feel like no matter what's posted there will always be someone to pipe-in about the technical issues. We're just trying to have a little fun!

Yes, you haven't been here long.
just wait until you like a building that the collective here doesn't like...they'll crucify you for having an opinion :)

Haha I just haven't posted much! Been here via Skyscrapercity since 2012! Agree with you on the crucifying! :D

There are signs in the PATH areas about some kind of renovation. If I remember correctly, they're installing a Destination Control System for the elevators. I know for a fact I read that somewhere, but I don't remember if that was at FCP or somewhere else :/

Back