News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.2K     1 

First Canadian Place marble panels falling

Status
Not open for further replies.

lxmoss

Member Bio
Reaction score
In March, it was ice on the CN Tower. Now something else is falling from above and it's enough to make you keep one eye on the ground and the other on the sky. A huge slab of marble has fallen some 60 floors from the tower at First Canadian Place. Incredibly, the huge rock didn't hit anyone as it plummeted to the street below, but officials have no idea if that's the only piece that's loose.

As a result, police have closed down a section of King St. West from York to Bay. No pedestrian or vehicular traffic is being allowed through until further notice. It's not clear what caused the mishap. There was no construction going on at the time.
may1507-tower.jpg

I just sent Brookfield Properties an email stating that as a concerned citizen I would greatly appreciate the building being re clad.
Here's the link if anyone else feels they want to do the same.

http://www.brookfieldproperties.com/contact/

^ I really hope so - it's become a filthy disgrace, nearly an eyesore. When your building is this prominent, it's just not cool to let it get this cruddy looking.

Ditto the CN Tower, sadly.

I think they have been recladding it, bit by bit, though I've never seen anyone actually doing the work. Or maybe they've been taking a scrub brush to them. Maybe it happens in the dead of night? Quite a few of the panels are brighter than before, as the image above shows.

Aren't they just replacing dirty Carrera marble with clean Carrera marble that will soon become dirty? Hardly a long-term solution.

If they don't replace it quickly enough, by the time the last of the new marble goes on the first of the new marble will already be dark enough to be replaced.

And just today as my bus pulled in to town and up York Street I thought to myself "boy FCP looks like s**t". Maybe the replace the marble with a lighter composite material which, if it breaks off, will float harmlessly to the ground below! Now THERE'S a long-term solution!

And just today as my bus pulled in to town and up York Street I thought to myself "boy FCP looks like s**t". Maybe the replace the marble with a lighter composite material which, if it breaks off, will float harmlessly to the ground below! Now THERE'S a long-term solution!

Hahahah! Dandruff tower!:D

Chicago replaced its Carrera marble with granite. Let's see what Toronto chooses to do.

Incidentally, is this caused by excessively thin slabs like on the AON Centre?

Oh well, that's just fantastic. What a POS FCP is through and through. And worst thing is that it replaced a perfectly good building.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back