News   Jul 31, 2024
 935     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 731     0 

Finding a Place for A Student

Roy G Biv

Member Bio
Reaction score
A family friend of mine has recently been accepted into Pharmacy school at U of T. He'll start in the fall, and will probably not qualify for graduate housing.

His parents have asked me to help him find a place. I told them about viewit.ca and craigslist, but I thought I'd ask you guys for advice.

The Annex seems to be an ideal location. I told his parents that he'd likely have to live with roomates if he wants an affordable rent.

Are there are any good methods or resources that could help him find a place near U of T?

Any advice at all would be appreciated.

I live at Polo Club I (1055 Bay Street) and I know there's at least a couple Pharma students in my building. That stretch of Bay Street between Charles and Gerrard have a number of good condo buildings with one bedroom units available in the $1000-$1200 range. It would be slightly more expensive than most student places in the Annex, but you'll get a better apartment. You'll find them listed in the Star or Globe, but it's also worth checking out the buildings themselves and see what's posted on each building's bulletin board.

The U of T student housing webpage is the best resource for U of T students. I found one apartment that way, and another just by walking around my desired neighbourhood and following up on RENT signs in the window.

In the south, west, and north student ghettos, rent would be around $600 per person for a 3-4 bedroom apartment, and even less than that in larger apartments. Most 1 bedroom apartments are around $1100 in the older apartment buildings around U of T, and about 25% more than that for rented 1 bedroom condos.

The best advice that I can give you is to stay away from Victor Ng houses in and around U of T.

If he is fine with sharing a place, Craigslist is a great place to look.
The absolute best deals come from sharing a house or condo with it's owner.

A few years ago a backpacker friend of mine found accommodation for several months on Brunswick Ave near Bloor. It was a huge old victorian converted into many small rooms. And by small, I mean small: bed, desk, kitchenette and bathroom in a few hundred square feet. However the location was fantastic, the building was clean, safe, and well maintained, and the price was right (less than $500/month if I recall). Best of all: no roommate! Might be worth checking up and down that strip as there seems to be many other buildings like it.

My boss has rented out his basement to students for years. Not sure of the rent, but well under $1,000 I think. I agree that one of the best methods is to walk around the area, looking for "for rent" signs. Try also south of the Annex (my boss' neighbourhood): Bathurst - Spadina, north of College.

Back