News   Apr 16, 2024
 529     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 425     1 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 786     0 

Farm Boy expansion in the GTA

Sobeys College Park will close Jan 30th; and reopen in the Fall as a Farm Boy

I'm really surprised by what I take to be a 8-9 month closure.

It's a small space and a typical store reno team could cut it to the studs and have it back up in 8 weeks no problem.

I wonder if they are adding to the leased area at all? If not, I can't explain that length of time.

Last edited:
Sobeys College Park will close Jan 30th; and reopen in the Fall as a Farm Boy

I'm really surprised by what I take to be a 8-9 month closure.

It's a small space and a typical store reno team could cut it to the studs and have it back up in 8 weeks no problem.

I wonder they are adding to the leased area at all? If not, I can't explain that length of time.

Or they are going to gut the entire store top to bottom and rebuild the inside to make it look identical to the suburban Farm Boy stores.

Today.
5951AF24-9544-4747-9F5E-4A10EA1A8D9F.jpeg

Sobeys has announced another Farmboy for Toronto; they will convert the existing Sobeys Urban Fresh on Queen's Quay; closure date not stated, but will open as Farm Boy in 2021.

Also announced was that the Sobeys Urban Fresh on Mt. Pleasant will close as the new FarmBoy in the Art Shoppe opens.

(While Mt. Pleasant and Yonge aren't far apart, I still see this as a bit of a shame that negates the idea of walkability to grocery. It's probably awash and w/Loblaws not far away on Eglinton not too big a deal, but still.)

Not announced, but now fairly clear to me is that Sobeys looks to exit the Urban Fresh brand in favour of Farmboy.

They've now 3 of them by the time this announcement is implemented.

Also in this announcement, a new location in the Bronte area of Oakville (also a Sobeys conversion)

1596198439000.png

Sobeys has announced another Farmboy for Toronto; they will convert the existing Sobeys Urban Fresh on Queen's Quay; closure date not stated, but will open as Farm Boy in 2021.

Also announced was that the Sobeys Urban Fresh on Mt. Pleasant will close as the new FarmBoy in the Art Shoppe opens.

(While Mt. Pleasant and Yonge aren't far apart, I still see this as a bit of a shame that negates the idea of walkability to grocery. It's probably awash and w/Loblaws not far away on Eglinton not too big a deal, but still.)

Not announced, but now fairly clear to me is that Sobeys looks to exit the Urban Fresh brand in favour of Farmboy.

Also in this announcement, a new location in the Bronte area of Oakville (also a Sobeys conversion)

View attachment 260819

The future Farm Boy at Dupont and Christie will be going into Litho, which is only a block or 2 from the Sobey's at Dupont and Ossington...

Also, there's a new Urban Fresh at Bloor and Islington, so I don't think that sub-brand is done quite yet.

(While Mt. Pleasant and Yonge aren't far apart, I still see this as a bit of a shame that negates the idea of walkability to grocery. Its probably awash and w/Loblaws not far away on Eglinton not too big a deal, but still.)

View attachment 260819

There's already a Sobeys Urban Fresh at Yonge and Balliol.

The future Farm Boy at Dupont and Christie will be going into Litho, which is only a block or 2 from the Sobey's at Dupont and Ossington...

Also, there's a new Urban Fresh at Bloor and Islington, so I don't think that sub-brand is done quite yet.

Some random thoughts:
As far as I know Farm Boy still sells only food...if I lived on Harbourfront I would welcome Farm Boy but might be slightly annoyed I could not grab things like paper towel/dish soap/toothpaste at the same time if I needed.
When the Urban Fresh site at Yonge & Balliol is redeveloped I expect the planned replacement to still be Urban Fresh so they can charge the higher prices/offer less items on sale. Whatever comes to this location I hope they have beer/wine.
I used to like walking over to Mt. Pleasant when Sobey's was still IGA. It brought back childhood memories and had that small town feel.

Farm Boy has opened a training centre for their upcoming College Park store in the old Second Cup at Yonge and Wood. I assume this means the grand opening won't be long now.

Farm Boy has opened a training centre for their upcoming College Park store in the old Second Cup at Yonge and Wood. I assume this means the grand opening won't be long now.

This one and Yonge/Sudan are currently listed as 'Fall 2020' on the FB website.

I don't know how long their training centre has been open, but based on my experience w/retail openings of this size, 6-8 weeks might be a reasonable guess. (but that's entirely a guess)

That Sobey's looks close to closing now ( I was in there this evening). I feel bad for the folks in the senior's residence overhead. The Loblaw's is hit and miss on variety of stock.

That Sobey's looks close to closing now ( I was in there this evening). I feel bad for the folks in the senior's residence overhead. The Loblaw's is hit and miss on variety of stock.

With Loblaws so close a 'City Market' is out. Metro doesn't have a small format.

I wonder if Longos would consider this for one of its 'market' locations. They don't have a Yonge/Eg area presence.

Back