News   Mar 28, 2024
 148     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Farm Boy expansion in the GTA

And..... the Farm Boy at Lake Shore and Lesile is OPEN! Opened around 8 AM this morning. Pretty exciting news, as it is the first Farm Boy location near the core.

Popped by the new Farm Boy about an hour ago.

BUSY!

For those familiar w/this complex, I had to park over by the Boston Pizza, about 150M from the store. There were virtually no spaces to be had.

That's mid-day on a Friday!

Also I got the last basket on the way in!

I think that most of you who are interested in this thread are already Familiar w/Farm Boy so I won't bore on the details, it basically looks like a Farm Boy, LOL

The product offer is as you'd expect.

Not a lot new in the layout, except that some of the prepared foods are in meat instead of the deli area.

The only really good deal was pork tenderloin for $8.80 per kg.

They've got some new offerings in prepared meals.

Curried pumpkin salad is decent......but needs more curry. (cold bar)

Potato and Leek salad was a bit flat for me, but might have been just great w/freshly cracked pepper...........they need peppermills in their sit-down space!) (cold bar)

Sausage and Bean stew was good. (hot bar)

Asian pork chop was unfortunate.......hard'ish and rather dry.....(hot bar)

In store potato chips are always good when fresh (I recommend mesquite)

Random note from one staffer there..........While Farm Boy will not be carrying any Sobeys brand products.............Sobey's will begin carrying some Farm Boy product shortly.

Farm Boy must be doing something right, i have visited five different locations and the stores were packed. I don't mind their stuff, good quality without breaking the bank. Another thing i like, the stores are not in large sprawling buildings, everything is well laid out, so you can be in and out in under 15 - 20 mins. I hope Sobey's doesn't ruin a good thing.

Farm Boy must be doing something right, i have visited five different locations and the stores were packed. I don't mind their stuff, good quality without breaking the bank. Another thing i like, the stores are not in large sprawling buildings, everything is well laid out, so you can be in and out in under 15 - 20 mins. I hope Sobey's doesn't ruin a good thing.

There are things they do right, and you just highlighted one. They don't carry anything that isn't edible. No tissue products, no baby clothes, pots/pans or seasonal decorations, only food.

That, right there, allows for a much more compact footprint.

Additionally, I would highlight their selection of sausages in store.....something like a dozen varieties, including hard-to-find in the GTA, Andouille , along w/Sriracha sausage, Oktoberfest (mustard/beer), Chipotle and many more.

They have a good assortment of their own line of deli meats, including Mesquite Pork.

They have an above average selection of fresh herbs that notably includes Thai Basil.

Their meals-to-go stuff is uneven in quality, as I noted above.......but it's diverse, well priced and sometimes quite decent; definitely better than most of its competitors.

There are things they do right, and you just highlighted one. They don't carry anything that isn't edible. No tissue products, no baby clothes, pots/pans or seasonal decorations, only food.

That, right there, allows for a much more compact footprint.

Additionally, I would highlight their selection of sausages in store.....something like a dozen varieties, including hard-to-find in the GTA, Andouille , along w/Sriracha sausage, Oktoberfest (mustard/beer), Chipotle and many more.

They have a good assortment of their own line of deli meats, including Mesquite Pork.

They have an above average selection of fresh herbs that notably includes Thai Basil.

Their meals-to-go stuff is uneven in quality, as I noted above.......but it's diverse, well priced and sometimes quite decent; definitely better than most of its competitors.

Farm Boy is doing something right, agree with both of you. What I quite like is the meals to go stuff, mainly because of how big they have it. The rest of store is okay, but I quite like the meals to go stuff the most...

Sharing this post from the Minto Westside forum about a Farm Boy opening at Bathurst and Front. I haven't heard any target dates for opening, but this will be a great addition to the area.

Sharing this post from the Minto Westside forum about a Farm Boy opening at Bathurst and Front. I haven't heard any target dates for opening, but this will be a great addition to the area.

A corner once destined to be Whole Foods.

As that chain has lost all momentum in Canada; Farm Boy is growing exponentially.

If they don't muck it up.......look for the Quebec chain Avril to make it to the GTA in the next few years; they have some really neat innovations going on in their stores, including full restaurants and growing their own herbs and microgreens on site.

(photo from www.yp.ca)

Vertical farm image from https://www.agritecture.com

Farm Boy press release from December 10 - the Dupont/Christie location is confirmed, but won't open till...2021. ?

The other locations will be in 2020 - College Park, Yonge & ~Eg and outside Kipling station (which is a complete cluster at the moment).

Farm Boy press release from December 10 - the Dupont/Christie location is confirmed, but won't open till...2021. ?

The other locations will be in 2020 - College Park, Yonge & ~Eg and outside Kipling station (which is a complete cluster at the moment).

I wonder if the College Park location will simply be Sobey's rebranded.

AoD

If they don't muck it up.......look for the Quebec chain Avril to make it to the GTA in the next few years; they have some really neat innovations going on in their stores, including full restaurants and growing their own herbs and microgreens on site.

Just saw this post. Avril is based in Granby, my hometown in Québec, and last time I was there I was floored that a city of 67,000 people could get something that we really don't have under the same roof in Toronto. I sure hope they expand in Ontario.

Back