News   Mar 28, 2024
 308     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 262     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 295     0 

Fantasy conversions?

I would pick the tower portion of the Whitney Block. From what I understand the tower is no longer in use so it might as well be used as residential.

tor-48.jpg

tor-49.jpg

I'd fantasy-convert Our Lady Of Mercy Hospital--if only to save it from the impending wrecker's ball...

that restaurant/eatery when you arrive on center island by ferry. stunning views.

I would love to see a new baseball stadium where the Island Airport is now. We could have a pedestrian bridge??

Top floor of Robarts. Private elevator access. Remove all the books and concrete walls, just a continuous triangle of glass with an open concept layout: private gym, etc.

ap:

From the main library you'll get a nice view of the ballet rehearsal room across the street, though the little library with the circular staircase and the gallery is very sweet too.

But I bet you'll be in neither. My guess - either the bencher's lounge or the barrister's lounge with the inward-facing gargoyles?

It'll be so much quieter.

How about this: We buy one or more of the Ontario Place "pods" and convert it to residential. You could put 10 or 12 units in each pod with a shared rooftop terrace. Great views, on the water. Park the boat underneath.

Personally, the Cabin "D" next to the John St. Roundhouse would suit me fine as a weekend retreat. Move it back to trackside (maybe up near Strachan) and I could use it as a hobby house, or a place to watch trains go by.

Any of the interlocking buildings (John St., Cherry St. or Scott St.) would be fine as well. John St. suffers a bit under the Skydome pedestrian bridge, but Cherry and Scott have nice bay windows. The trains can switch themselves in and out of Union.

Maybe stringing some units under some of Toronto's high-level bridges...

The Food building on the CNE grounds. And to add that personal touch I would use the font used to create the 'Food' sign above the building, and replace the sign with one that said 'Troy's Haus'. It is a lot of space and I would not want to be greedy so perhaps dividing the space up to create a number of town homes would be the right thing to do, assuming one could do so with only minimal changes to the exterior and with materials that are original, or an acceptable facsimile of them.

Of course, if it is going to be subdivided it might be better to rename it the 'Food Cooperative'. This also has an added advantage of bringing about hours of entertainment watching confused Swedish tourists try to figure out where exactly they are supposed to buy their groceries.

elook, not to be mean about it, but in the last post on the first page I took the pods at Ontario Place, so they are no longer available to you. And I took them all. All. For me.

In a spirit of sharing and generosity, however, I will offer you the Department of Agriculture Silos at the very end of the island. Enjoy!

Everyone: thank you so much! You can continue to add to this but I've got more than enough for the weekly column. Look for this one either September 1st or perhaps the week after...although most of the content you'll already know.

Really appreciate the sense of humour on this one...you guys rock.

Cheers,

DLeB

Back