News   Apr 19, 2024
 174     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 486     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 835     3 

Fantasy conversions?

The uppermost floors of Commerce Court North, as the ultimate two-floor apartment with a promenade and loft attic to boot.
Replace the frosted glass in those wonderfully tall arched windows and the view would be astounding. You'd probably have to soundproof the elevator rooms. Or glass them in - would be quite the animated conversation piece adjoining the living room and bathroom.

Yorkville firehouse. Awesome neighbourhood, historic gem, clocktower. And the possibilities for the lower level!

I'm over the Science Centre today. It was nice while it lasted, but the concrete looks dreadful in the fall drizzle as I sit with a glass of chablis on a dreary fall day. Time to get out.

Today I'm into taking over the Atlantis Pavilions and Cinesphere at Ontario Place. It's got setting, close to downtown, views, and everything else I need. Sorry kiddies, go somewhere else to cool off, the amusement park is now my garden.

I'd love to move into 205 Yonge (or, its sister at 197 Yonge). If we're talking fantasy conversions, I'd take both and add some sort of a modern (clean and understated) addition between the two.

Guys,

these are hilarious....keep 'em coming (and yes, yes, I know what you're thinking: keep doing his f**king work for him) but it's all for the greater good of giving urbantoronto.ca some much-deserved publicity. I've been on this forum since long before I got a newspaper column and I must say it's a really great group of people that continue to stay fresh, civil toward each other and a really inspiring place. Okay, enough buttering you all up...

I may even write this one earlier than planned since I'm really digging on all your responses.

Cheers,

Dave

KFC bucket....:rollin

Listen, forget the KFC bucket. I'd like to set up some pied-a-terre within the billboard trusswork atop that junk shop on Danforth near Main. (Those of you who've been out there may know what I'm talking about.)

Now that I think of it, in addition to the Yorkville Firehouse 10 Toronto St would make a fine address. It would have to be residental, and not the centre of my future business empire. I would turn the back parking lot into a personal garden and a patio. The property would make such a great conversation piece when entertaining. And I can walk to work. The only thing I wouldn't have are views.

If only I had the money.

Pretty hermit's-cabin modest, but maybe the operations booth for the Cherry Street bridge at Keating Channel.

Well, maybe not for living in, but certainly for a tryst...

The lighthouse at the end of the Leslie Spit with the spit being the estate. That would be one long driveway.

This would not be fully non-res to residential, but I would do this to the "Nightmare on Elm Street" - the brutalist apartment on Elm west of Bay:

1. Leave the apartments as-is, except perhaps much more funky windows

2. Convert the above-grade parking garage to townhouses, keeping the concrete exposed

3. Gut and renovate the row homes between the apartment building and Bay Street. They could become townhouse-condos as part of the complex

4. Renovate and perhaps redevelop the Bay St. hotel on the corner of Bay and Elm. Put retail at the bottom

5. Develop a Mozo-like new building directly to the south in the existing parking lot. Underground parking would replace the existing above grade lot in the "Nightmare", and serve the entire complex

By doing this, the fabric of Elm could be pulled across Bay Street, the Uno Prii building could be saved/upgraded, and new housing and commercial could be added filling a major gap on Bay St.

I hear the bus terminal will eventually move elsewhere, so the direct vicinity is ripe for improvement.

Back