News   Jul 05, 2024
 2K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 709     0 

Extending subway system driving force behind Thomson mayoral campaign

jallan71

Member Bio
Reaction score
And now, to further complicate the transit issue in the upcoming municipal election...

Extending subway system driving force behind Thomson mayoral campaign

Toronto Star
Robyn Doolittle
City Hall Bureau

Mayoral candidate Sarah Thomson unveiled her plan for a citywide subway system this morning, an issue which will be central to her campaign.

Thomson said she would pay for the project using road tolls, private partners, and redirected funds from the city’s current LRT expansion plans.

If elected, Thomson says she would add 58 kilometres of track across the city, extending the subway west to Pearson Airport, east through Scarborough and north to York University. The total cost would be upwards of $11 billion, based on estimates that each kilometre of track costs about $200 million to build and maintain.

“Great cities build great subways and great subways build great cities,†she said, in a line that will likely be repeated throughout her campaign.

On option would be adding a $5 toll for use of the city’s two highways - the Gardiner and Don Valley Parkway - during peak hours, Monday through Friday. The toll would expire after 10 years, or once the funds had been raised to pay for the subway project.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tor...driving-force-behind-thomson-mayoral-campaign

I feel embarrassed for her every time I see her talk, and I wince when she takes out her key prop. She just comes off as somebody running a pretend campaign for her high school project.

As for her subway plan, I commend her for providing a funding scheme, although she needs to consider what would happen if drivers all decide to drive along Don Mills or Bayview instead of paying the DVP toll. And bringing up the DRL subway into the debate is a very good thing.

The Sarah plan:

ST4M_EXPANDED_TTC_email.jpg

Just being reminded that there's something real cheesy about her incorporating the CN Tower in her logo...

Yeah, graphics designer, stat...

Come to think of it, the T looks like someone from the KKK getting nailed to a cross. That, or the profile of a push-pin. And the header reads like a typographical trainwreck...HOMSON4MAYOR...

Good for her to have the balls to raise tolling as an issue though - but you bet everyone else will tip toe around that one.

AoD

Last edited:
I wish I could vote for her. If any Mississauga candidate seriously supported a subway to MCC I'd vote for them in a heartbeat.

As for Thomson, I don't see the need to belittle her team's graphic design talent (or lack thereof). We should be looking at her proposals. Aren't we all taught to not judge a book by its cover and you know, examine waht she's actually proposed?

Anyway, the two things I think she has missed are the Sheppard subway westerly extension to Downsview and the Bloor subway westerly extension to Sherway.

As for Thomson, I don't see the need to belittle her team's graphic design talent (or lack thereof). We should be looking at her proposals. Aren't we all taught to not judge a book by its cover and you know, examine waht she's actually proposed?
We only notice it because they obviously put the most time and effort into logos, props, and branding. None of the other candidates have a logo.

Given that none of the lines she's proposing look like $200-million per kilometre lines, has anyone done the math, to see how many years of tolls on the DVP and Gardiner would be needed to pay for the $11-billion?

And with with a couple of dozen candidates running for mayor, are we taking this one that no one has heard of, seriously? What am I missing?

I applaud her for at least being brave enough to put the idea on the table to actually commit to imposing tolls. Is there any other candidate who have the cojones to do that?

Given that none of the lines she's proposing look like $200-million per kilometre lines, has anyone done the math, to see how many years of tolls on the DVP and Gardiner would be needed to pay for the $11-billion?

And with with a couple of dozen candidates running for mayor, are we taking this one that no one has heard of, seriously? What am I missing?

Should we take any candidate seriously then? What kind of ridiculous comment is that. People take Enza Supermodelk's campaign seriously. And while challengers to the mayoralty in Mississauga have no serious chance of winning, we take them seriously as well. This is a democracy. It doesn't matter if no one has heard of someone before if they have good, bold ideas that capture the imagination of the populace. Before he was elected mayor, who'd heard of David Miller? Not I, not I. Just because a candidate is "well-known" it doesn't mean they're "good". You have to look at what they're bringing to the table.

David Miller was a city councillor and a TTC commissioner before he ran for Mayor.

Sarah Thomson is so un-notable, that she doesn't even have a Wikipedia page. It's hard to imagine someone running for the highest office in the city, who hasn't even achieved the lowest bar of notability going.

That being said, your correct, this is a democracy - and perhaps an intelligent, reasonable, candidate could come out of nowhere and win it ... given the general low calibre of any of the candidates. But I'm just not sure why anyone is taking her any more seriously than the other 26 candidates (or the other 22 perhaps ...). Particuarly after she has demonstrated just how ignorant she is, by using subway pricing that is so clearly unrealistic.

But what am I missing ... why are people taking her seriously?

Back