Vaughan Expo City: Expo 1,2, & Nord | ?m | 38s | Cortel Group | AJT Architects

No, Vaughan Corparate/Metropolitan Centre or whatever its called is already better than the Kipling station area.

Vaughan Metro Centre (VMC) currently has too many building in parks to make it an attractive nighbourhood. However, the abundence of underused parking lots should be the exact catalyst needed to incent redevelopment.

Current sites with building in parking lots are

Ikea
Wal-Mart
Costco
Rona
Home Depot
Canadian Tire
AMC Theaters
Colossus Theaters
Power centre with BestBuy/Sports Chek/Winners
Power centre with Staples / Tigre Direct
Hilton Garden Inn
Novotel
Courtyard Mariott
The KFC Office

Not all parking lots can be redeveloped. But many of them can.

Not to mention the countless factories that are screaming to be relocated. This includes the catepiller dealership right on Highway 7.

Technically, VMC does not extend west of Hwy 400. That area is part of a different Secondary Plan area. The parking lots and buildings north of Hwy 407, east of Hwy 400, south of Portage Pkwy, and west of Black Creek can be redeveloped. Most of them will, it's just a matter of when.

There is a site sitting on the north eastern corner of Weston and Hwy 7 that's pending development for two condo towers plus a 10 storey office with all the typical retail podiums at street level.

This project could be the Empress Walk of VMC.

There is a site sitting on the north eastern corner of Weston and Hwy 7 that's pending development for two condo towers plus a 10 storey office with all the typical retail podiums at street level.

This project could be the Empress Walk of VMC.

Yup.
And I hope that the development goes through.

A few months ago there was a "community representative" walking through my neighbourhood trying to get signatures to stop that development.

^^

Save Our Hwy 7?

I really, really, in all my life never wanted to use this expression, but there is a first time for everything and this is going to sound funny coming from a guy in the 905.

*ahem*

"Typical NIMBY attitude".

Seriously, one of the argument points was that they want to keep the area quiet as new residential developments will (obviously) bring more residents to the area and encourage further developments.

^^

Did you know that at the intersection with Weston Rd, Hwy 7 is 10 lanes wide? =-))

I get your point though. But I still do see this project as adding value to the area. Especially with our BATNA in this case being a truck and trailor parking lot... or something.

Last edited:
^^

Did you know that at the intersection with Weston Rd, Hwy 7 is 10 lanes wide? =-))

I get your point though. But I still do see this project as adding value to the area. Especially with our BATNA in this case being a truck and trailor parking lot... or something.

Hehe; I know that Highway 7 and Weston is 10 lanes wide -- I've lived here since 1990; I remember when it was still a car dealership (Al Pal) and then just north of that was farm!

And even at 10 lanes wide; there's still congestion!

Any of the projects that are being planned for VMC will add value to the area. IMO, this area of Vaughan is falling behind the likes of Mississauga, Markham and Richmond Hill in terms of development. I'm tired of seeing the same plaza's at every intersection. Vaughan needs some life outside of a couple of movie theaters and the same Italian restaurants.

But I still plan on moving to Toronto. :D

Soon there will be an easy way to get to Toronto. Jump on the train, head south and don't look back. A good reason to extend the subway. :)

Soon there will be an easy way to get to Toronto. Jump on the train, head south and don't look back. A good reason to extend the subway. :)

True! And with the added capacity on the subway trains, I can move in one fell swoop! Just board the train with all my furniture and moving boxes -- there's your added capacity!

New rendering from Cortel. Looks alright, the verical fins are trying to create a wavy effect. I don't love it but definitely nice to know they're not going with the NY Towers remake design.

Expo-Rendering.jpg

Last edited:
I can see those wavy parts being removed when it comes time for construction, just like the stripes that were supposed to be on the South Beach condos.

I concur with khristopher .... and the reason for removal will be the same too, "because the originally proposed fin has a negative impact of views from suites"

New design? What?

New rendering from BuzzBuzzHome.

That's very different from the original rendering. (See page 1 of this thread.) Are you sure that's the right site? Their web page had detail down to the floor plans, so I thought the design was finalized. Also, this rendering doesn't show the other four towers.

Perhaps the design changed completely when they changed the name from 7citycentre to Expo.

What have I missed?

The previous design was prepared in order to secure Official Plan Amendment and rezoning approvals for the previous owner. It's not surprising that the design has changed. The massing is the same as before, and they are only showing one building because it's just the first phase.

I would like to see a 'daytime' rendering, as this rendering doesn't show much detail. I find it to be underwhelming.

Back