Toronto Exhibit Residences | 99.97m | 32s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

It's a nice looking building, but it's no One Bloor. I wonder when they'll decide on the balcony treatment?

I think this project is on its way to being very handsome, and the massing shifts are subtle and elegant. But One Bloor is in a completely different league than this project for all sorts of reasons.

June 6
More up on site

18419957728_737253da1c_b.jpg

18603183012_c823e579bd_b.jpg

17987105633_6dccdb6fe6_b.jpg

18421620419_ddccbfffaf_b.jpg

18420055658_4c79e68650_b.jpg

17987114623_7cb3cce30e_b.jpg

definitely dinosaurs! or bats or diamonds! or each block one of those. Too much fun that would be. This project site underwhelms me. I guess its just because you can't really see the shifts as much without all the glass and balconies up. I look forward to that.

Gradually the north side of Bloor here is turning into a very solid, urban expanse that befits the really quite extraordinary set of buildings opposite.

What's missing, though, is an extension of the Yorkville streetscaping to the west. The state of the sidewalks and planters along here really isn't good enough. I would hope it's possible to push it at least to Bedford or St George, if not alll the way to Spadina.

I know there are plans for the ROM frontage, though.

The west boundary of the BIA is the west side of Avenue Road. I assume that means the Hyatt, but no buildings beyond that. The BIA will need to expand quite a bit west to get that sidewalk done… or the City will have to cough up for the cost. Not sure which is more unlikely.

So what actually happens to a place like Gabby's? Is that now just an orphaned lot until way off in the future some time when it becomes worth it to develop a sliver like that?

Worry not about Gabby's. For one, I actually think it looks good slivered in between these developments. For another, the interior renos they did a few years ago are actually extremely impressive.

Back