News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 637     0 

Excluding food/bev and clothing, what bricks and mortar (offline) retailers do you shop at most?

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
When I exclude food, beverages and clothing, and look at where I shop offline, I have to guess top five would have to be Home Hardware, Home Depot, Canadian Tire, Pet Valu and Petsmart. Costco would be on the list, but really we don't go there except for food and sometimes clothing, with any items applicable to this list being tertiary to the mission.

My "offline" purchases other than food and drink have become extremely rare, even though I live downtown. I'm pretty minimalist when it comes to clothes and I shop online even for shoes, and I have never had to return anything. I even bought a mattress online. I order from Amazon, Well.ca, Adidas, Simons, or Hudson's Bay mostly.

Last edited:
I enjoy going to Shoppers when they have deals to collect Optimum Points, and even make an effort to avoid Rexall just to cash in on the points at Shoppers.

Otherwise, I'd say maybe a store like Muji for the purpose of household goods and accessories. Also checking out Ikea once a while.

Regularly Urbane Cycle, 401 Games, Beguiling, and Silver Snail (eg, my hobbies)... Otherwise less often is Candian Tire, Bed Bath & Beyond, and Shoppers. MEC used to be on there, but has seemingly dropped off and is now a last resort for cheap/quick.

Yesterday I went to Best Buy for earbuds. I had selected what I wanted on their website, confirmed that they had it in stock - of course they actually didn't. I chose another model, made my way to the cashiers - about a dozen people were waiting in line and there were few cashiers. As it is my habit to not reward incompetence, I returned the earbuds to the display and left - back to online purchases!

Yesterday I went to Best Buy for earbuds. I had selected what I wanted on their website, confirmed that they had it in stock - of course they actually didn't. I chose another model, made my way to the cashiers - about a dozen people were waiting in line and there were few cashiers. As it is my habit to not reward incompetence, I returned the earbuds to the display and left - back to online purchases!
Post that to @BestBuyCanada. They’ll never know what to improve otherwise.

I buy practically every inedible non-clothing item online these days.

I treat Best Buy as a showroom (and purchase what I saw there on Amazon instead).
I browse instore, then I grab a staffer and show them the same item online and ask if they’ll match the price. Almost every time, including at Best Buy, Chapters and Sleep Country the store has matched the online price.

Dollarama, mostly for cleaning/household/ office supplies, books and even kitchen utensils. I don't buy food or clothing there.

I browse instore, then I grab a staffer and show them the same item online and ask if they’ll match the price. Almost every time, including at Best Buy, Chapters and Sleep Country the store has matched the online price.
I do that as well. I often haggle by telling sales representatives about the competitors' prices on the products I am interested in, usually by showing them the prices the competitors offer online. Depending on the individual manager, I could get the lower value.

I frequent the Yonge and Eglinton Best Buy and compare prices there with Canada Computers across the street (which I also frequent).

Back