News   Apr 19, 2024
 91     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 747     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 7.3K     2 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

Ha, nice story about breaking in during demolition. That would have been late-'80s or early-'90s, no? Such a pity, too, about Fire Pit. It was like Harvey's, but better quality. Apparently there's still one outlet in Mississauga.
Yes, Willow was good for the cheap double-bill. We saw quite a few films there as a family in the '80s, among them Stand by Me and The Purple Rose of Cairo.
Here's a pic of the Willow from what must be 1981 (I can just make out Eye of the Needle on the marquee). She sure wasn't all that pretty a movie palace.
willowShow.jpeg

Yep, and Willy Wonderful, Hy and Zel's (still a few of these hanging in), and of course the bigger guys like Eaton's, Simpsons, et al.

Across the Street from the Willow was John Anderson Burgers. Good Times

Yep, and Willy Wonderful, Hy and Zel's (still a few of these hanging in), and of course the bigger guys like Eaton's, Simpsons, et al.
and Howie's. I worked as a cashier at Howie's in the 80's. It was bought by Shopper's I think.

Funny what lurks in the recesses of your brain. I'm singing a radio jingle for Willy Wonderful in my head.

Bikers at 2877 Danforth:

2877 Danforth cropped.JPG

Attachments

• 2877 Danforth cropped.JPG
    2877 Danforth cropped.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 1,152
Don Mills Shopping Centre and Curling Rink c.1960

Don Mills Shopping Centre and curling rink - aerial .JPG

Attachments

• Don Mills Shopping Centre and curling rink - aerial .JPG
    Don Mills Shopping Centre and curling rink - aerial .JPG
    438 KB · Views: 1,609
I'd date that picture closer to c1970 than c1960--the big giveaway: the Donway office tower can be glimpsed at the left edge.

We can also see here how an insufficiently weatherproof roof surface treatment and lack of painting/maintenance led to the curling rink looking *awful* by the 1970s.

A small town in 1910, Malvern has now become a huge community in Scarborough.

Malvern Brass Band 1910.JPG

Attachments

• Malvern Brass Band 1910.JPG
    Malvern Brass Band 1910.JPG
    282.6 KB · Views: 1,107
I was walking up York this morning, and saw they are re-facing the wall in the alley along Bardi's steakhouse, revealing what was underneath.

The wall is a large advertisment for the Midway Sewing Machine Company, Est 1878.

Not sure if this the right thread, and not a great quality shot, but worth discussion I hope.

IMG_20150429_071422.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20150429_071422.jpg
    IMG_20150429_071422.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,733
how did this section come to be revealed. there does not seem to be any footprint for a building next to it...

Look at streetview of the alley beside Bardi's. The wall was covered in those coloured tiles for as long as I remember it. They are removing the tiles for some reason.

Back