News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 566     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 866     0 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

I remember when going to the Ex as a kid, we were always told that if we got lost/separated that we should meet at the Bulova Tower. I miss it.

cne1925.jpg

cne1911.jpg

cne1913.jpg

cne1914a.jpg

cne1914.jpg

cne1912.jpg

cne1913a.jpg

cne1910.jpg

cnefirediver.jpg

cnemidway1914.jpg

cnekaiser.jpg

Last edited:
Ferry Dock & Terminal Bldg.

The Toronto Island Ferry Docks have quite a history.
The thumbnails show old locations. First, slightly east of Bay (stereo view), then almost directly in front of the Harbour Commission Building where huge apartments are located today.
I found some photographs I made (c.1971) after the terminal building was abandoned and ready for demolition.

Islandferryterminal1.jpg

Islandferryterminal2.jpg

Islandferryterminal3.jpg

Islandferryterminal4.jpg

Attachments

• 800px-Entrances_to_the_passenger_wharves_on_the_Toronto_waterfront 1894 kilburn wikimedia.jpg
    800px-Entrances_to_the_passenger_wharves_on_the_Toronto_waterfront 1894 kilburn wikimedia.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 259
  • bm-of-bay-and-qu-quay.jpg
    bm-of-bay-and-qu-quay.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 266
  • Mainland.jpg
    Mainland.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 254
As much as the present terminal's decried as a "bunker" today, its predecessor looks as if it'd be popularly decried as a "dingy shack unworthy of a metropolis" then...

Very nice photos. For me who is a newcomer to Toronto, they allow me to see how the city/people looked like back in the days.

"Top right, is that the Queen's Quay warehouse?" BeeRich.

Terminal Warehousing. Built by the DuPont interests.

Regards,
J T

Wow, Seeing this corrects my memory. I remembered a funky terminal for the ferries before they moved them. But I could never place them properly. Now, seeing the "dingy shed" it all comes together. That shed is my first memories of going to the island.

Islandferryterminal1.jpg

Top right, is that the Queen's Quay warehouse?

Yes, but in the early days it was known as the "Terminal Warehouse."
Too difficult to demolish, it was converted into what we have today.

In this view, from inside looking north, we can see the Harbour Commission Bldg. nearby.
It's a fine landmark, since it was once at the water's edge!
Today it's difficult to find because it's surrounded by the expressway and huge buildings.

Islandferryterminal3.jpg

Yes, but in the early days it was known as the "Terminal Warehouse."
Too difficult to demolish, it was converted into what we have today.

In this view, from inside looking north, we can see the Harbour Commission Bldg. nearby.
It's a fine landmark, since it was once at the water's edge!
Today it's difficult to find because it's surrounded by the expressway and huge buildings.

OK, that is what I was looking for. I remember that changeover. Back in the day when it was warehouses and rail lands. The waterfront has really changed. I was going to run down to The Canary and take some pictures before things starting going vertical. That is going to be unrecognizable.

Cheers

Wonderful set, Brewster! The little OCT 55 on the first shots brought back memories. The days when film stayed in your camera until finally (in this case at least a month) you got it developed.......

Last edited:
Wonderful set, Brewster! The little OCT 55 on the first shots brought back memories. The days when film stayed in your camera until finally (in this case at least a month) you you get it developed.......

Thanks again thecharioteer, but credit goes again to the Leonard Poole Collection.

Labour Day on Spadina Avenue:

1953: Milk Drivers and Dairy Employees Union at the Labour Day Parade, Spadina and Bulwer:

img093-1.jpg

1957:

Furriers Float, The Fur, Leather, Shoe and Allied Workers Union, Labour Day Parade:

img092-1.jpg

And on Yonge, north of Shuter, 1900's:

1900s_Toronto_LabourDay_Parade.jpg

Last edited:

Back