News   Mar 28, 2024
 243     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 624     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 374     0 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

Regent Park and Portlands, looking South-South East from 40 Homewood Ave.

SkylineSSE4.jpg

Sunset SE5 (2).jpg

Sunsetgold4.jpg

SunsetSSE2 (2).jpg

Just walking past Queen and Portland when I noticed this sign in the pavement. I presume it marks a former street.

Any idea where or what Lot Street is?

20220407_121943.jpg

I drove by there a thousand times coming home from Chinatown....Never registered as it disappeared after the turn of the century....
what year was it torn down?

Oh wow! That looks like a bad day coming soon. Would love to know more context regarding that movement.

Oh wow! That looks like a bad day coming soon. Would love to know more context regarding that movement.
I would assume one of the airport runways in use at that time (but long since closed) had an intersection with the road, and the red light would stop the cars when a plane was landing or departing on that runway. ( I would guess probably 09/27 ? )
https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/98727416803290606/
... Runway 09/27 at 3,164 ft (964 m) is closed (east section removed), as is runway 04/22 at 4,000 ft (1,200 m) (north section removed and south part retained as taxiway into the Bombardier plant)
http://spacing.ca/toronto/2013/08/05/history-dufferin-street/
Dufferin Street used to continue all the way to Steeles and beyond ...
Downsview Airfield ... expanded during the Second World War ... one of the runways crossed Dufferin Street, with a traffic signal to control aircraft and road traffic, much like the road/runway crossing at Gibraltar.
http://www.michaeld.ca/downsview/deHavilland_and_CFB_Downsview.html
This says photo was from 1944.
Mosquito Aircraft Production at Downsview

Last edited:
Fantastic @SubHuman ! It reminds of Gibraltar airport where the road crosses the active but they have a little more than a traffic signal to stop traffic. I've probably been to YZD maybe three times - once 40 years ago for a class trip to see the de Havilland factory when Twin Otters, Buffalo, and Dash 7s rolled off the assembly line, once when the Pope came here in 1984 and once about 15 odd years ago for a Wings and Wheels show where they had a full size mockup of the Avro Arrow.
P5262584.JPG

Fantastic @SubHuman ! It reminds of Gibraltar airport where the road crosses the active but they have a little more than a traffic signal to stop traffic. I've probably been to YZD maybe three times - once 40 years ago for a class trip to see the de Havilland factory when Twin Otters, Buffalo, and Dash 7s rolled off the assembly line, once when the Pope came here in 1984 and once about 15 odd years ago for a Wings and Wheels show where they had a full size mockup of the Avro Arrow.
Now at the Edenvale airport on Hwy 26 between Barrie and Stayner.

I might be mistaken, but I think I read somewhere that this photo is not of Downsview, but of Barker Field (further S off Dufferin, N of Lawrence)

Back