680     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 307     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

Campbell House moved 1972 TPL
Campbell House moved 1972 TPL.jpg

A 200-ton house nears the end of its journey through downtown Toronto as a truck eases it toward a new site near the Canada Life Building at University Ave. and Queen St. The building - the 150-year-old Campbell House-was moved inch by painstaking inch from its original site at Adelaide and Jarvis Sts. on giant dollies. Hundreds of persons marched with the house along its one-mile route. Traffic lights and signs were taken down; manholes had to be shored up.

If they hadn't filled it, we'd have some pretty cool hilly roads in the area. Maybe it should have been left the way it was.

This is why the older Dundas Street winds its way well north of High Park - it avoided most of the ups and downs farther south, while hooking up with other roads such as Weston Road.

View attachment 293344
A 200-ton house nears the end of its journey through downtown Toronto as a truck eases it toward a new site near the Canada Life Building at University Ave. and Queen St. The building - the 150-year-old Campbell House-was moved inch by painstaking inch from its original site at Adelaide and Jarvis Sts. on giant dollies. Hundreds of persons marched with the house along its one-mile route. Traffic lights and signs were taken down; manholes had to be shored up.
Nice find. The house used to be at Adelaide and Frederick (not Jarvis). Note street sign reads Duke Street - the former name of this part of Adelaide St East
campbell house.png

View attachment 293344
I was 11 years old and remember watching it...I think on Adelaide (it was moving west). It was huge, the biggest house I had ever seen...let alone on wheels in the middle of the street. The scale of it in this picture on University does not do it justice.

I was 11 years old and remember watching it...I think on Adelaide (it was moving west). It was huge, the biggest house I had ever seen...let alone on wheels in the middle of the street. The scale of it in this picture on University does not do it justice.
They removed the trolley wires and raised the electrical and telephone wires along the route. Then they had to put them back up.

I toured the house with my daughter 2000. We were the only ones there besides the tour guide. Fascinating.

From link, dated 2013.

The first escalator in Toronto (and Canada), a wooden "traveling stair," was installed at the T. Eaton Co. store on Queen Street West (119 years ago). It was the first time shoppers could be automatically ferried between floors without having to ride an elevator.

20131129-Escalator-College.jpg

It's not clear what happened to Toronto's first escalators but there are some reports they remained at Eaton's downtown location until it was demolished to make way for the Eaton Centre in the 1970s.

A narrow wooden model lingered at the company's College Street store until the building was repurposed into College Park.

Back