385     1 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 744     0 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

Toronto Telegram (1900-1963) press room 1904 TPL
Toronto Telegram (1900-1963) press room 1904  TPL.jpg

The former Hungarian House at St. Clair West & Winona:

View attachment 220762
It was a synagogue in an earlier incarnation with the main function room retaining much of the decor right to the end of its days.

I was in there near the end of its life for a well attended amateur boxing card. It was interesting looking up at the various Jewish iconography on the upper walls near the very high ceiling.

I was saddened to see it go.

Last edited:
Is there anyone (from my generation) who remembers the days when kids built orange-crate scooters?
Two pairs of roller-skate wheels, nailed to the bottom of a two-by-four with the crate secured to the top.
Great for races and speed trials thru the streets.

orange-crate scooters, c.1940 photo by Ronny Jacques LAC
orange-crate scooters, c.1940 photo by Ronny Jacques  LAC.jpg

Is there anyone (from my generation) who remembers the days when kids built orange-crate scooters?
Two pairs of roller-skate wheels, nailed to the bottom of a two-by-four with the crate secured to the top.
Great for races and speed trials thru the streets.

orange-crate scooters, c.1940 photo by Ronny Jacques LAC
View attachment 227318

Running shoes, sneakers, tennis shoes, gym shoes... what were they? I remember using them only for gym class in the 1950's.

Hard to understand why everyone dressed so formally even for leisure activities. It must have been very uncomfortable in warm weather...

Hard to understand why everyone dressed so formally even for leisure activities. It must have been very uncomfortable in warm weather...

And men's suits were usually wool. Easy to understand when it was the norm of the day. Looks for any photo of a crowd at MLG from the 1950s into the early 60s - all hats, suits and dresses.

And men's suits were usually wool. Easy to understand when it was the norm of the day. Looks for any photo of a crowd at MLG from the 1950s into the early 60s - all hats, suits and dresses.
There were thicker wool suits and apparel for winter, and thinner for summer. Wool is also insulating, so one can be insulated from the heat of summer. My grandfather was always properly dressed. Farmers were also covered up well...mosquitoes etc, hay and straw chaffe...and so on.

Back