89     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

"Is that a stack of raw pics, or the albums containing them?"
steveintoronto.

No, they are the actual books, original publications, not copies.
Many moons ago, a Mounted Galbraith pic I had bought at auction, I "Debuted" here , with the aid of Fearless Leader - Mustapha, it being that of The E W Gillett Plant
taken just after The Great Toronto Fire of 1904, Front Street. It being one of his 500 remaining originals of the 50,000 pics attributed to him, and an important one
at that - The Fire, I also allowd both the Toronto Public Library and the Toronto Archives to make copies thereof.; all was fine, as they not only made their own, but also ,
The TPL, gave me not only a nice Thank You letter, but also a high resolution disc copy! The Toronto Archives, the same, but different; no letter.
However, and I have not searched for the last six months, THEY have Yet to Publish! and it's been over 5? - 7? YEARS.
(The original pic (mounted) is - 11" x 14"; can be enlarged to - who knows - HUGE!
LOL.
Sold all of the large maps - many engraved, they being measured in multiple feet - no more wall space!

Regards,
J T

Bay-Queen intersection 1922 TPL
Bay-Queen intersection 1922 TPL.jpg

Attachments

• Bay-Queen intersection 1922 TPL.jpg
    Bay-Queen intersection 1922 TPL.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 627
Bingo!
View attachment 142193

1924 Plans are submitted to replace the westernmost building at 291 College with a "stable entrance" for the City Dairy Company, which develops the land directly south 4

1924 Goad's Fire Insurance Plans (also online at Toronto Archives website :)
city dairy stables.JPG

Attachments

• city dairy stables.JPG
    city dairy stables.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 611
1924 Goad's Fire Insurance Plans (also online at Toronto Archives website :)
Many thanks! The angled corner is plain to see. I've yet to to start searching for pics, but @adma gives me confidence of a good chance of finding at least one.

Again, many thanks to all who added crucial details to the search. I might yet go in person to the Archives to be helped with the search. I also have a number of other items to search...there's psychology in that...lol...it increases the chances of walking away with at least one prize.

I continue to be boggled about the age of the memory, unless, as stated prior, the building wasn't razed until long after the permit was issued.

Regarding the mysterious new Hotel X on the CNE grounds:
There seems to be no web site dedicated to the hotel that was announced to open in December, 2017.

TorStar - Feb. 2017:
"--The Hotel was first granted approval to be built in Dec. 2009.
--Work began in January 2013.
--The hotel, which appears to be near completion from the outside, still has some work remaining."

Has the building been abandoned or is it in business today?
Hotel.jpg

Attachments

• Hotel.jpg
    Hotel.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 596
Last edited:
Regarding the mysterious new Hotel X on the CNE grounds:
There seems to be no web site dedicated to the hotel that was announced to open in December, 2017.

TorStar - Feb. 2017:
"--The Hotel was first granted approval to be built in Dec. 2009.
--Work began in January 2013.
--The hotel, which appears to be near completion from the outside, still has some work remaining."

Has the building been abandoned or is it in business today?
It's open, database entry at http://urbantoronto.ca/database/projects/hotel-x-was-hotel-garden Actually a piece on it in today's Star.

Stanley Barracks - CNE grounds -1923 TPL ....Hotel X has been built on this site!
Stanley Barracks-CNE grounds 1923 TPL.jpg

Attachments

• Stanley Barracks-CNE grounds 1923 TPL.jpg
    Stanley Barracks-CNE grounds 1923 TPL.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 658
Davisville Pottery - Yonge St. e. side between Davisville Ave. & Millwood Rd. ...1887 ...TPL
Davisville Pottery - Yonge St. e. side between Davisville Ave. & Millwood Rd. 1887 TPL.jpg

Attachments

• Davisville Pottery - Yonge St. e. side between Davisville Ave. & Millwood Rd. 1887 TPL.jpg
    Davisville Pottery - Yonge St. e. side between Davisville Ave. & Millwood Rd. 1887 TPL.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 563
Looking towards Osgoode Hall and the University Avenue Armouries from City Hall ......1911 ....TPL
Looking towards Osgoode Hall and University Avenue Armouries from City Hall 1911 TPL.jpg

Attachments

• Looking towards Osgoode Hall and University Avenue Armouries from City Hall 1911 TPL.jpg
    Looking towards Osgoode Hall and University Avenue Armouries from City Hall 1911 TPL.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 487
Last edited:
Notice how what is now the DVP was once envisaged as a Don Mills extension/bypass arterial following the path of Greenbelt Drive--the curve/arc ROW at Don Mills and Greenbelt remained discernable for years thereafter...

Back