News   Mar 28, 2024
 984     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 554     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 847     0 

Toronto Etobicoke Centre (Housing NOW, ?s, ?)

HousingNowTO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Community Meeting #3 on the HOUSING NOW sites at Bloor-Kipling & Bloor-Islington
WebEx : Wednesday, April 28 from 6:30 - 9PM

Details - https://createto.ca/housingnow/etobicokecentre/

1619460152178.png

That golf course would be a great place for large scale park for downtown Etobicoke...

Islington Golf Club is private.

It's an impediment to a continuous trail along Mimico Creek.

Of note, most of it actually isn't in the floodplain:

1619472469369.png

It also impedes logical road connections and hoovers up ~ 54 hectares/135 acres of land

By contrast Tom Riley Park to the south is almost entirely within the floodplain.

My thought, move the park facilities of Tom Riley to the Golf Course lands (outside the floodplain, and add 10 acres on top), plus take the floodplain land
as natural/ravine park (and add 10 extra acres), convert the existing Tom Riley Park to same.

That would leave at least 50 acres for development; and a complete street grid.

Think of the affordable housing; 2 new E-W streets across the top the site, one new N-S all the way through; and some additional local streets.

...I once read that a golf course is a good walk interrupted. >.<

Edit/FYI: In case anyone was wondering, there's a dispute whether that quote was attributed to Mark Twain. So I left the source unauthored.

Last edited:
too many meetings , consultations, studies... , just Build Build Build , stop wasting time , & increase the dam supply now , not 8-10 years from now

Having attended all of the previous meetings on these sites... I would encourage you to call in tonight and share that, @slickpete83 ... as it will be a good counter-point to the usual NIMBY voices who show-up for every meeting... Thx!
yes HousingNOWTO, you're right , in my opinion only , seems the same crowd in every neighbourhood , the "not in my backyard crowd" who doesn't want more supply to complete with their real estate

The densities seem surprisingly reasonable at Islington.. they are missing a few floors up top vs what could probably be achieved with a private development application, but it's nothing crazy. The Etobicoke Centre lands continue to leave literally thousands of units on the table however.

"Traffic sewer" is a good term.
It is, but sewers are essential infrastructure that keep us from being buried in crap.

I think it is okay to have 'traffic sewers' but we shouldn't make them the focuses of our communities. Those are be streets. Urbanizing traffic sewers is just making 'stroads'.

Back