Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
http://essentialcondos.com/

Essential Condominiums, Markham

img4285z.jpg

Where will this be located?

What a strange location!

Outside of the big master-planned communities like Markham Centre, Langstaff, Cornell, etc., the placement of condo buildings in Markham along roads like McCowan and Markham/48 seems to be positively random. I really wish more effort had been made to set aside land for buildings like this closer to GO stations or along VIVA routes. The transit service along these roads is very poor (Markham Road is about a bus every hour, for example), so it will just mean more cars on the road. I'm all for densification along major routes, but it often seems like developers are merely adding them as an afterthought after building low-rise housing in better locations. This would be more workable if bus service was increased to every 25-30 minutes.

Some examples from Markham road south of 14th Avenue:

mr1.jpg

mr2.jpg

It's a "Avenue" style low-rise building that brings density to the suburbs ... I see that as a good thing ~

lowrise Avenue style buildings are inadvertently costly to build/engineer in nature due to inefficiencies otherwise achieved in larger scale towers, plus the builder likely can't charge super high prices at this location ...

all these things have to be taken in consideration when developing a site, its not ONLY about how a building looks in the development industry ... if the economics doesn't work, there will be no new building :)

On a separate note, I wonder if the design was by Kirkor Architects, as this has the 'Solid Citizens' (brick) look typical in Markham ... ie: River Park @ Uptown Markham, Upper Village, Parkview Towers @ Galleria

On a separate note, I wonder if the design was by Kirkor Architects, as this has the 'Solid Citizens' (brick) look typical in Markham ... ie: River Park @ Uptown Markham, Upper Village, Parkview Towers @ Galleria

Turner Fleischer

Yeah these are both Del Ridge projects.

Both seem out of location considering the context of that part of Markham road.

--Emery owns a substancial number of industrial/office buildings in the warden/woodbine - hwy7/steeles area. They also own the sobey's plaza which is adjacent to where they are planning this condo.

What a strange location!

Outside of the big master-planned communities like Markham Centre, Langstaff, Cornell, etc., the placement of condo buildings in Markham along roads like McCowan and Markham/48 seems to be positively random. I really wish more effort had been made to set aside land for buildings like this closer to GO stations or along VIVA routes. The transit service along these roads is very poor (Markham Road is about a bus every hour, for example), so it will just mean more cars on the road. I'm all for densification along major routes, but it often seems like developers are merely adding them as an afterthought after building low-rise housing in better locations. This would be more workable if bus service was increased to every 25-30 minutes.

Some examples from Markham road south of 14th Avenue:

mr1.jpg

mr2.jpg

Given the location, I can totally picture their target market: elderly Chinese people who want to live near their grown up kids. I think it will sell rather quickly.

Maybe you would prefer a 15 to 40 story glass tower with this buiding serving as a podium.

Perhaps a replacement in 30 to 40 years.

MODs ... a clarification, the 2 buildings shown in canarob's post above (on Markham Road) are Del Ridge Homes' projects, while the Essential Condominiums is strictly by Emery Homes (not related to Del Ridge)

Back