Erin Mills Expansion & Cineplex Junxion | 14.75m | 1s | OPB | MMC Architecture

Hey it’s great to see that there is so much progress around this cinema. I recently spoke to a Cineplex member and was told this cinema is expected to open some time around June. This was about a month or two ago. I also happened to notice on Social Media that there is huge hype around this new Erin Mills Junxion location for a new Indian film called Adipurush. Out of curiosity I looked it up and found out it’s based on the epic Hindu mythology Ramayana. It is a big budget film.

On Twitter there is a post with around 334 retweets and 605 likes requesting Adipurush to be released in Erin Mills Junxion Location in June.
IMG_7847.jpeg

Hey it’s great to see that there is so much progress around this cinema. I recently spoke to a Cineplex member and was told this cinema is expected to open some time around June. This was about a month or two ago. I also happened to notice on Social Media that there is huge hype around this new Erin Mills Junxion location for a new Indian film called Adipurush. Out of curiosity I looked it up and found out it’s based on the epic Hindu mythology Ramayana. It is a big budget film.

On Twitter there is a post with around 334 retweets and 605 likes requesting Adipurush to be released in Erin Mills Junxion Location in June.View attachment 474100
Interesting, the other day I saw a whole group of Cineplex employees going into the building for training so it looks like it definitely will be opening soon! 😁

Interesting, the other day I saw a whole group of Cineplex employees going into the building for training so it looks like it definitely will be opening soon! 😁
Wow that sounds great! So all the equipment and stuff is already finished then otherwise they would not have employees entering the building I presume. Do share any new pictures if you have them.

Wow that sounds great! So all the equipment and stuff is already finished then otherwise they would not have employees entering the building I presume. Do share any new pictures if you have them.
Yup, most of the equipment seems to be installed but I think they are still working on small things. I did take a few pics that day, but they aren't great because of the time of day I went. If you look closely though they have the TV screens running already, and have added seating.
PXL_20230501_001537675.MP.jpg

PXL_20230501_001528619.MP.jpg

Update - Saw on Reddit that an employee posted that this cinema is set to open as early as May, 17, 2023. This is the tentative date as of now which is like a week away woww!

Update - Saw on Reddit that an employee posted that this cinema is set to open as early as May, 17, 2023. This is the tentative date as of now which is like a week away woww!
Oh cool, looks like they are ahead of schedule! Saw more employees training today, so that makes sense. Maybe they will have a soft opening?
PXL_20230508_002212868.MP.jpg

PXL_20230508_002201350.MP.jpg
PXL_20230508_002152833.MP.jpg

I Was inside the mall today and the window covers were down affording a decent view. Almost all the arcade games were installed and it looked like this could open very soon. Unfortunately, it looked like just about any other cinema.

HBNG Holborn, the new owner of Erin Mills Town Centre is looking at redeveloping the parking lots into mixed-use, high-rise developments:

Erin Mills Town Centre​

Among the properties Garrett will oversee is Erin Mills Town Centre in Mississauga, which was acquired from the Ontario Pension Board-affiliated OPB (EMTC) Inc. for $272 million on Jan. 31.

HBNG’s RGF Real Estate Fund is part of the investment consortium, currently managed by Pemberton Group, that purchased the property.

The site is comprised of a 900,000-square-foot shopping centre on more than 80 acres of land at 5100 Erin Mills Pkwy., close to Highways 403 and 407.

“There are pockets of parking lot areas surrounding the mall that can be redeveloped into mixed-use, high-rise developments,” Stevenson said.

“We're still in early discussions with the city to essentially come up with a vision for the property that is going to be supportable by the city and that makes the most sense for that area.”

The former Panera and demolished Paramount fine foods both fronting Eglinton are prime candidates and I hope these two sites see redevelopment first.

I'd like to see a more coherent internal street network plan. The developments on the south side of Eglinton are just vertical sprawl. Having more towers face onto Erin Mills and Eglinton (permanent traffic sewers) will just see more failed retail. If the goal is to begin to form an urban node, the developments should be more inward facing away from the arterials. I would consider a frontage laneway along Erin Mills and Eglinton to provide access to parking for the developments and keep car traffic to the internal streets low.

I was thinking, given the City of Mississauga's thoughts to intensify the four malls along the Erin Mills/Winston Churchill axis (Sheridan, South Common, Erin Mills, and Meadowvale), it would be an interesting idea to turn Glen Erin into more of a transit-priority road (starting with a priority bus or BRT-lite service and TSP signals) linking these four mall sites, and Clarkson and Lisgar GO stations.

It will be interesting to see how the redevelopment proposal/master plan bumps into the city's planned density of 200-300 people+jobs per hectare for Erin Mills, given experiences with Lakeview Village and the subsequent MZO. LVV is now approved for 16k units (~30k residents) and 9k jobs puts the 71.6 hectare site at ~550 people+jobs per hectare (including a fair amount of land being given over to conservation).

So I was sitting outside on the porch tonight, post dinner, finishing off a bevie, watching the clouds roll across the sky when I saw @afransen's message on this thread. I decided to do a little driveway flight to drain a partially charged battery left over from yesterday. Not a bad night for a quick eleven minute flight.

Looking west on Eglinton, the old Panera location is in the foreground while the former Paramount location destroyed by fire a few years ago can be seen with the checkered pattern at the corner of the next street intersection. @afransen is right about the wall of condos on the south side.
1687826313245.jpeg

There is a lot of land that could be developed as seen in the photo below beginning at the intersection of Eglinton and Erin Mills Parkway.
1687826540589.jpeg

There is already a four lane ring road within the mall itself that could handle traffic for the new development
1687826622119.jpeg

Back