Toronto Emerald Park Condos | 128.92m | 40s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

TUNNEL UPDATE:
I was advised that Bazis staff have scheduled another "final inspection" with the city of Toronto and TTC for this Friday January 13th 2017. It may be a "Good Friday" but we've heard the words "final inspection" too many times. Let's hope for an occupancy permit following the sharp scrutiny of city staff.

You knew it was only a matter of time before they found the new donut shop,....

IMG_3663.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3663.JPG
    IMG_3663.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 491
Sweet. Been waiting for something different to show up around here. Will try it out tonight or tomorrow night!

ALLWYN'S REVIEW:

Apologies for turning this into a food blog but many living in or near EP would like to know.
I heard on the vine that they had opened today at Emerald Park and developed a sudden craving for jerk chicken. I ordered a small jerk chicken with coleslaw and peas and rice for $6.60. Delicious. The chicken was tender, juicy, with a medium spice, good peas and rice, and fresh, creamy coleslaw. It filled me up. They have a weekend special on jerk wings, half pound $5.50,baked not fried, so I'm looking forward to that. Plus sandwiches, roti, and patties, all at reasonable prices. I had a NaNaShakes frozen fruit bar on a stick and it was tasty and refreshing.
I noticed that a Persian kabob and Yukihana sushi-teriyaki-noodle were open and construction was taking place in 2-3 other spots so it's starting to look better. Enjoy.

Too bad I don't work in the area, Allwyn's sounds perfect for lunch! On the odd occasion I'm around, I'm recently always going for BKK's lunch specials (next door).

They have a weekend special on jerk wings, half pound $5.50,baked not fried

I'm in for this!

TORONTO STAR ARTICLE ON POYNTZ TUNNEL:

By MEGAN DOLSKI Staff Reporter
Thu., Jan. 12, 2017 Years after it closed for construction, the tunnel entrance to the Yonge-Sheppard subway station facing Poyntz Ave. still hasn’t reopened.

The West Lansing Homeowners Association, a non-profit that represents homeowners living near the station, wrote about the delays on its website last summer, tracking the posted signs which listed the entrance’s repeatedly evolving opening dates.

“The issue, as I understand it, is a delay in the developer receiving permit approval from the city that would allow the entrance to open,” wrote TTC spokesperson Stuart Green in an email. He said the entrance closed in June 2014, and that signs went up saying it would re-open in early 2015.

Green said a backwards “Yonge-Sheppard” sign was placed at the entrance intentionally, with plans for it to be flipped once the pathway had re-opened. The sign has since been flipped, though the entrance remains closed

Bazis is the developer behind the Emerald Park condos at the corner of Yonge St. and Sheppard Ave. in North York. When asked about the delays, spokesperson Veronika Belovich called the pedestrian tunnel, “a gratuitous gift to the community” and “a very tedious construction task” in an email. In response to questions about the timing, Belovich wrote that “the entrance was always to be open in the fall of 2016.” She said construction could not begin until the city had started “road widening” in the area.

Belovich said the work was done by “TTC approved” contractors and is complete, but under inspection by the city and the TTC for safety purposes. In an email sent last week, she said the tunnel is slated to open in February of this year.

The City of Toronto’s building department is making sure the project adheres to the province’s building code, explained Diane Damiano, the director and deputy chief building official.

“A number of deficiencies” was found and addressed over the course of a number of months, Damiano said. She said the most recent inspection was done on Dec. 29, 2016 and that at the time, the “life safety systems” were not ready to be inspected.

Damiano said another inspection will be required and successfully passed before the entrance can open.

John Filion, city councillor for Toronto’s Ward 23, which includes the area surrounding the intersection of Yonge St. and Sheppard Ave., said the Poyntz Ave. entrance was supposed to open by the fall of 2014.

He said the entrance’s opening hinges on its passing of city inspections. Filion said there’s nothing he can do to speed up the entrance’s opening — “if there was anything I could do I would have done it,” he said.

And with that, I would like to publicly thank sunnyraytoronto for his efforts in bringing this to the attention of the whole city. A developer who made a contractual promise to deliver public space to the city and dropped the ball, multiple times, in effect making a mockery of the regulatory system and the TTC. To say that it is “a gratuitous gift to the community” merely shows their level of contempt toward the public. This developer had no choice but to build the subway tunnel and treated it as a complete afterthought.

I'll just say it again... This uproar is literally about having to cross the street to get into the subway. Anyone else in this city would love to be worrying about that.

When a major developer tells the city and TTC in 2014 that the tunnel will be open in early 2015 and 2 years later is still making excuses, blaming others for their mistakes and delays, unable to comply with standard building codes, unable to correctly install a relatively simple fire safety system, then it's a serious issue. It's not about "having to cross the street." Bazis has shown little commitment to the timely completion of this project and has riled many city and TTC staff who were there to help them from the start.
I was advised today that Bazis has backed out of the "final inspection" on short notice that they booked with city and TTC staff for tomorrow Jan. 13. They have asked for a site meeting on Wed. Jan. 18.

And with that, I would like to publicly thank sunnyraytoronto for his efforts in bringing this to the attention of the whole city. A developer who made a contractual promise to deliver public space to the city and dropped the ball, multiple times, in effect making a mockery of the regulatory system and the TTC. To say that it is “a gratuitous gift to the community” merely shows their level of contempt toward the public. This developer had no choice but to build the subway tunnel and treated it as a complete afterthought.

Naa,.... I'm really just a local busy-body with a big mouth!

The real thanks goes to Constructo, numerous TTC staff, City building inspector, City staff, Councillor Filion's office and as mentioned in article the local WestLansingHomeownersAssociation for actually doing the real leg work day in and day out to hold Bazis accountable for delivering what they're contractually obligated to deliver to the City, the TTC, the local community and most importantly to Bazis' own EmeraldPark customers!,...

Bazis' EmeraldPark customers who include Bazis' EmeraldPark residential-condo owners and tenants, office owners and workers and retail unit owners, store operators and worker,.... It's these Bazis EmeraldPark owners and tenants who actually paid a 10-15% premium (directly or indirectly) for their residential-condo, office-condo and retail-condo units with direct subway connection that really paid for the EmeraldPark TTC entrance, TTC direct connection fee and underground pedestrian tunnel,.... or what Bazis spokesperson Veronika Belovich consider as Bazis' “a gratuitous gift to the community”,... which Bazis actually profitted from!
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-rosario-varacalli.4829/page-141#post-1173565

Thanks also goes to Toronto Star reporter Megan Dolski for the news article putting more pressure on Bazis to finally complete the EmeraldPark TTC subway entrance

BTW, there's been more fire alarm testing at EmeraldPark in the last few days,.... sometimes with all the fire alarm strobe lights going off, the EmeraldPark retail mall looks like a disco dance club!

Last edited:

Back