1.3K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

Emden, Germany

R

ronald1987

Went to a congress of Northwestern Europe's urban planners last week in Emden, a city in Germany's extreme northwest. The focus there was on waterside development. Not only was this congress interresting, the town itself was quite nice aswell.
Here are some pics:

my hotel

a street nearby the city center

the city's central square at night

view of the city center from the top of the town hall

the harbour

all houses are made of (red) brick

the center again

view of the central square

the town hall

some shots of a residential neighbourhood

can you believe that the same house in holland costs 5 times as much as this one?

there are poorer areas aswell. mostly Russian immigrants live in these flats.

an abandoned military base, built in 1910.

these buildings just sit there, wasting away.

an old war bunker.

a pic from the inside (reminds me of "medal of honour", a pc game that I played a few years ago)

the shopping area in the city's center

quiet residential street

that's all, hope you enjoyed them :)

Nice pictures. Thank you.
The buildings which you say are "just wasting away" surely could be a good opportunity for adaptive reuse. I'm not sure where they are located in relation to other features of the city, but a little imagination could surely result in a good new use for these. They reminded me somewhat of a former psychiatric hospital in Toronto (similar age), which has now been converted to an attractive college campus.

^That's exactly what I was thinking.
The problem is, that the city is shrinking. It had 65,000 inhabitants in the 70's and today it has got 50,000.
There already is a community college in the city, there is not enough demand for a university-campus, student housing, a hospital (they already got a hospital), or even a prison. I asked the local town planner whether all these possible functions for this complex would be a realistic option. He said, "in a shrinking city there it just isn't economically possible to give new life to these older buildings".

Nice to see a street named after August Bebel, the great Marxist.

August Bebel Strasse is actually a common German streetname, with many towns and cities (particularly in the east) having such a street.

^I was about to say that :) They even have an August-Bebel Institute in Berlin. And a city in former East-Germany used to be called "Carl-Marx City" (Karl-Marx Stadt). It has its old name back now, "Chemnitz".

Back