Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

You're kidding right? they're going to use a TBM for a 1-2 km stretch of tunnel? eh??
At the next meeting, they should ask if they will use the same boring machine used between Renforth and Scarlett, for the section from Pearen Park (east of Fergy Brown Park) to Mt. Dennis Station.

When the bored the Eglinton Line, they went east until they reached just west of Allen Road. Then they lifted it out, and put it back in just east of Allen Road before continuing east, to avoid messing with the Eglinton West Station Box. Happened on Saturday April 18 and Sunday April 19, 2015.

See link and link.

metrolinx-move2-april-18-19-2015_4702.png

The question I have is can the Eglinton bridge over the Humber River handle the mass, or will they have to reinforce the bridge somehow.

Last edited:
Does anyone know why the The IO P3 Market Update (June 2021 version) see link below has not filled out the Procurement schedule for the EGWLRT while all the other transit projects have been filled out?

https://www.infrastructureontario.c...Market_Update/June 2021 Pipeline Chart_EN.pdf

On a side note if anyone wondering why I sent June's update is because the September update got delayed to the middle of October ish

Project Model PDC/TA Procurement Issue RFQ Issue RFP Contract Execution Location Estimated Total Capital Costs
*/**Eglinton Crosstown West Extension - Stations, Railway, Systems TBD Awarded TBD TBD TBD Toronto $2B - $4B

Does anyone know why the The IO P3 Market Update (June 2021 version) see link below has not filled out the Procurement schedule for the EGWLRT while all the other transit projects have been filled out?

https://www.infrastructureontario.c...Market_Update/June 2021 Pipeline Chart_EN.pdf

On a side note if anyone wondering why I sent June's update is because the September update got delayed to the middle of October ish

Project Model PDC/TA Procurement Issue RFQ Issue RFP Contract Execution Location Estimated Total Capital Costs
*/**Eglinton Crosstown West Extension - Stations, Railway, Systems TBD Awarded TBD TBD TBD Toronto $2B - $4B

I wonder if the update for this Fall will be released tomorrow based on this:

P3 Market Update will be held today at 12:00 p.m. with Minister of Infrastructure. The Eglinton West Extension will likely be a topic of discussion. Link below if you are interested in attending.

Eglinton West LRT mentioned in the IO CEO's letter and the latest market update.

Eglinton West LRT mentioned in the IO CEO's letter and the latest market update.

EGWLRT Extension still TBD - Wonder Why

Q3 Market Update -

I found this blurb the more interesting:

***ECWE: Contract packaging options (including delivery models and timelines) continue to be explored, with a view to considering how a) Tunnels and/or Elevated Guideway and b)
Stations, Rail and Systems might be optimally delivered.

^ Is the construction industry's ability to deliver all these projects almost at the same time factoring into the "optimally delivered" aspect?

Out of curiosity what are the chances in the event Ford loses the elections next June that this project either gets cancelled? or gets altered to become above ground? My guess is it remains as is since tunnel boring machines will be well advanced by the middle of next year. Thoughts on this?

Out of curiosity what are the chances in the event Ford loses the elections next June that this project either gets cancelled? or gets altered to become above ground? My guess is it remains as is since tunnel boring machines will be well advanced by the middle of next year. Thoughts on thisT
This, and the SSE, are much more advanced that we've ever realized from all the delayed plans. Holes in the ground have actually been dug and things can advance even more pretty quickly in just the next year. Plus, no party really has intention to delay the line further. Not much will change for these lines but other lines less far in the pipeline like Finch West to Woodbine, Sheppard East, and the YNSE can change to appease voters.

Last edited:
Finch West? That’s under construction no? And (thankfully) trundling along under the radar…
Finch West, I think, is too far down the line to be changing at this point (thankfully).

The project most susceptible to change is the OL (YNSE is a 905, suburban, tunneled extension - I don't think ML will change anything based on the Royal Orchard protests).

I don't think ML will change anything based on the Royal Orchard protests).
Especially since it seems like Vaughan seems to be incorporating the routing in the planning (see the posts on planned density along the line).

The OL however…I could see the OLP or the NDP changing its routing or how it’s delivered.

Out of curiosity what are the chances in the event Ford loses the elections next June that this project either gets cancelled? or gets altered to become above ground? My guess is it remains as is since tunnel boring machines will be well advanced by the middle of next year. Thoughts on this?

From strictly a fiscal point of view, the ROI improves dramatically by building the surface/elevated version even with the tunnels fully paid for. Much of the cost for both construction and ongoing maintenance is avoided with negligible impact to ridership according to Metrolinx's own business case. Sunk-cost fallacy is certainly something the public falls for on a regular basis though.

From a political point of view, Del Duca got hammered by the PC party for pushing through GO stations that went against the business case. He's likely to make similar poor fiscal decisions going forward; so cancellation would be tricky. My bet is Liberals (minority) would defer due to budget concerns and perhaps prioritize the GO contracts, and a reduction in GO fares instead (including integration with TTC).

It's particularly interesting that this is the second Ontario Liberal leader to have been Transportation Minister in a row. In a Del Duca cabinet (in the unlikely event one occurs) MoT may be seen as a highly desired position like Minister of Finance and get a heavy-weight assignment.

Last edited:

Back